Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2003, 10:47 PM

Default Do I have a problem ?

I diligently built up my Party account to over 1500 in 7 weeks playing 1-2, 2-4 and 3-6. Tonite, for some reason I entered a 10-20 and 15-30 and lost all but $300 in 1 hour. When I was done, I didn't even realize what I did. I was not under the influence of any mind altering substances.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:45 PM

Location: Poker is like sex, I have no idea what I am doing and most of the time it is done sitting infront of a computer by myself-NC
Default Re: Do I have a problem ?

i hope you dont have a problem as i have done the same thing. consider it a harsh way of learning. have gone on major rushes and pushed myself too hard in limits way too high, and i have repeated that silly mistake a couple of times. at this point i have learned my lesson and found some levels that i am comfortable with, but whos to say what happens on my next rush.....hopefully i can stick to my guns and slowly move into higher limits when the time is right. just take from it what you can and start rebuilding again and next time you will think twice about throwing several months of persistance and hard work down the drain.
Old 12-15-2003, 11:57 PM

Hi Anadrol,

I guess the question is: why did you move up to the higher stakes? The good news is that you left yourself enough of a bankroll that you can rebuild with careful play. If you take from that a lesson -- that it's a lot easier to lose the money than to win it -- consider this a good learning exercise and move on. If you find yourself doing it again, though, you might want to ask yourself why you want to work so hard to build a bankroll, then blow it at stakes you're not ready to handle....

Cris
Old 12-23-2003, 05:10 AM

Default Re: moving too quickly

I moved up way too quickly when I first started playing again. I say again because I played successfully against my buddies in college (this derived from card sense and number theory beyond them, but not beyond most poker players). I had not spent enough time doing any "homework" when I started playing again at the 5-10 level where I was breaking even. The lack of "homework" cost me when I moved up to higher levels. Not to say that it took me long to figure out the deal, but I wasn't ready at first. Now I feel I can sit with just about anyone (to a point of course) and have made solid tournament showings as well. Anyone can tell me the cards are mindless and I know this BUT...the cards always seem to fall wrong when you are short stacked or playing against really tuff players.
Old 12-16-2003, 01:37 AM

Anadrol,
Yes, you do have a problem, and it is a common one. You moved up MUCH too fast, and you put FAR too large a percentage of your bankroll at risk.
Moving up is not something you should do on an impulse. It should be part of a carefully developed plan. For example, Barry Tanenbaum, who writes for Card Player, has said that you should have 1,000 hours of winning one BB per hour at 1/2 before moving to 2/4, 1,000 at that limit before moving to the next one, and so on. You should never move up more than one level at a time. You jumped from 3/6 to 15/30.
If you (or anyone else) email me at BOTH alannschoonmaker@hotmail.com and alannschoonmaker@cs.com, I will send you a series of articles on Moving Up. It says why and how you should do it. Or whether you should NOT do it.
Regards,
Al
Old 12-18-2003, 12:21 AM

Default Do I have an opposite problem ?

I have build up my bankrol to 700BB playing $2-$4 and below, but I can't make myself even take a shot at $3-$6 game, because I'm afaid of losing to all the good players who must be playing $3-$6. It is completely irrational since I couldn't possibly lose it all in a single session.
What kind of mental excersize should I perform to climb to the next level.
Old 12-18-2003, 01:45 AM

Default Re: Do I have an opposite problem ?

If you are not comfortable moving up, stay where you are. There is no rule that says you have to move up, and Bill Gates plays 3-6.
Poker is a game, and it should be played primarily for pleasure. If you are happy where you are, stay there.
Regards,
Al
Old 12-18-2003, 01:15 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

Bill Gates plays 3-6

How do I get into his home game?
Old 12-18-2003, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bill Gates plays 3-6

How do I get into his home game?

[/ QUOTE ]

Climb through the window? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

(Ok, that one was too bad, I know)
Old 12-19-2003, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't make myself even take a shot at $3-$6 game, because I'm afaid of losing to all the good players who must be playing $3-$6.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remove this thought from your head. There are plenty of horrible players at Party's 3/6. Some hands I've seen call my raises cold recently: A2o, K2s, and QJo. I've seen K2s limp UTG, call when it was 2 raises back to him - he could see it would be 3 handed - there was an MP raise and I 3-bet from the SB. He then raised on a K85r flop and called my flop 3-bet. He called when rags hit on the turn and river. My AA was good.

If you are beating 2/4, you can easily beat 3/6. Start with 1 table and watch the players. You will quickly see who is decent and who is clueless. The only adjustment you need to make is you play much tighter in the SB. Most players are clueless about that adjustment, so it doesn't really affect your play outside of the blinds. If you are at a table where many players are folding their SB, then find another table because they probably understand the game better than most Party players. There will be a much easier game somewhere else.