Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2005, 01:10 AM

Default AQo played properly?

NOTE: Opponent is Loose-Aggressive / Passive

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP2 ($6.50)
CO ($22.15)
Button ($9.80)
Hero ($26.30)
BB ($21.55)
UTG ($65.37)
UTG+1 ($25.85)
MP1 ($11.55)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO (poster) raises to $1</font>, Button calls $1, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.9</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $1, Button calls $1.

Flop: ($6.25) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5.95</font>, CO calls $5.95, Button folds.

Turn: ($18.15) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero calls $18.35 (All-In), CO calls $14.20 (All-In).

River: ($50.70) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $50.70

How's my line?
Old 10-28-2005, 01:15 AM

Default Re: AQo played properly?

I don't play this low but I fold preflop. Given your preflop play and read, flop and turn look perfect to me.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:24 AM

You fold AQ to a raise coming from a steal position and a loose-aggressive player? Interesting. Your opponent has a wide range of hands and clearly AQ is far above the average hand he is likely to make this play with. A fold preflop is far too weak.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:33 AM

I don't like my position and button called. Yeah, I didn't really consider the read when assessing preflop but w button calling and bad position I think I'm still folding pre, maybe it's close. That villain is passive post makes a call pre more tempting.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:40 AM

Under no circumstances am I ever folding this preflop. This isn't a player raising early position with you in the blind. This is a loose-aggressive player raising CO. Even a tight-aggressive player's range of hands is very wide here and I am ahead of most of them. Players loosen up up in late position. The button's call means nothing. He simply may have seen a loose-aggressive player raise from late position, looked at his mediocre hand and called with position. In a tournament this would be a great place for a squeeze play making a pot sized or larger re-raise. However, in a cash game this is a trivial easy call.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:42 AM

i hate a preflop smoothcall.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:52 AM

Your potential edge over 2 possible mediocre hands doesn't make up for the bad position imo. Anyway, you keep playing.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:27 AM

pre-flop sucks hard
Old 10-28-2005, 01:31 AM

why does my preflop suck hard? I thought he was trying to steal from me, as indicated by his loose-aggressive pre flop playing style. I raised to protect myself from his steal, and i had a very good hand to do it with in the process.
Old 10-28-2005, 01:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why does my preflop suck hard? I thought he was trying to steal from me, as indicated by his loose-aggressive pre flop playing style. I raised to protect myself from his steal, and i had a very good hand to do it with in the process.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't feel bad from the negative responses, it's part of the learning process. But the others are right, pre-flop is awful. Here's why.

First of all, don't ever min-raise. And don't ever ever ever min-reraise. A min-reraise serves no effective purpose because you're giving almost any hand the odds to call. You're especially doing this in a multi-way pot. When action comes to you, there is $2.35 in the pot. You then put in another $1.80 to bring the total pot size to $4.15. Now the CO and Button have to put $.90 in to make the call, so they're getting 4.6 : 1 odds and they're correct to call with whatever 2 cards they happen to have. This isn't what you want.

I think a PF call is far superior to a raise, but if you're going to raise, raise to $3 or $4. But I don't like a raise because you have a marginal hand out of position. You're small blind and if you do get callers, you're going to be out of position for the rest of the hand.

Position is a big deal. I'd like a raise if you were the button a lot more because then it puts CO on the defensive and if he calls, you get to see what he does on the flop before you act. With a hand like AQ from the blinds though, just try to keep the pot small and see what develops on the flop.

------------------------------------------------------------

As for the actual hand...

Again, I'd try to control the pot size by checking the turn. You have 1 pair on a board that looks good for a LP to raise and call with PF. I wouldn't be surprised to see a straight or a set. Flop is fine, but I think you need to slow down afterwards.