Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2004, 04:36 PM

Default Drawing to the straight with a paired board

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (11.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Qh Jd (straight, ace high).
UTG shows Ah 3h (two pair, aces and kings).
Button shows Kd Th (full house, kings full of tens).
Outcome: Button wins 14.50 BB. </font>

I'm not really sure what to think of this hand. After the turn raise i was pretty sure he had the full house but i thought i should pay him off. Did i play this hand well or was it terrible?
Old 07-01-2004, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Drawing to the straight with a paired board

This all looks good to me. In the heat of the moment, I probably would've gone for the C/R on the turn, and it would've cost me an extra bet.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:42 PM

Given the preflop action, the only hand you fear here is KT. Do you know if the button will be preflop with that hand?

3-bet the turn. He'll cap you, you'll call down and lose, but it's still the right play.
Old 07-01-2004, 04:49 PM

I had a simliar hand last night (but lower - 665 instead of KTT) and I had the straight (I had 87 suited - I think I was the BB - but I don't remember) at the turn. I was an idiot and just kept betting and raising at the guy at the turn and river. Of course he had the 65 - and I just told myself how stupid I was.

I wish I played it as well as you did. Live and learn. I at least hope this makes you feel better about it.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:37 PM

I had this same situation but in reverse last night:

I have 67s on the button. 5 limpers, flop comes 588, two of my suit. EP bets, I raise, he 3-bets, I call. Turn comes 9 of my suit for the straight flush. It quickly goes heads up as the turn is capped. I don't even remember the river, but it had paint and also was capped. BB shows 99 and left the table.

It was my first ever straight flush (in about 15K hands). I'm so bummed that PS ate the hand history so I didn't get to record it in PT for posterity. But it's burned in my mind so that's ok. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-01-2004, 09:23 PM

Meh I disagree with 3 betting and calling it capped on the turn as the right play.

IMO, the right play is check/raise the turn, he raised you on the flop, so if he has a king he will the turn, and then you can raise and if he 3 bets just call down. Now if you do it B_Dids way, you would lose 5 BBs at least to call it down, if you go for the check/raise you will lose only 4 BBs if behind.
Just because you are raised on the turn doesn't mean he has a full-house this is very weak/tight thinking. If I had a King with a good kicker I'd raise you back too with just trips.
The reason for the check/raise is also to make others call 2 cold (UTG) and he will be more than likely far behind drawing to maybe at best 3 outs.
Old 07-01-2004, 10:26 PM

I'm not sure a 3-bet here tells you that he's got you beat. I cap does. I think there's a lot of players who would 3-bet with trip kings

(but think your line is OK, because in a way a c/r says "I made my straght more" and that gives them a chance to say "I don't care, I can beat that").

Either way- just calling down isn't the best move.