Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2004, 07:12 PM

Default any getting away from this hand?

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

MP3 is loose but doesn't raise a lot pf; MP2 is tight and hasn't done anything particularly out of line yet

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

I often cap pf here, but I thought I'd let MP3 have the initiative and go for a c/r on the flop to see how much he liked his hand, and maybe slow him down a little if he was on kings.

Flop: (18 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 folds.

At this point, I'm tentatively putting MP3 on either overcards or a weakly played KK, but I don't know about MP2. Figured she cold called 2 pf with something reasonable, but that could mean a lot of things and there's plenty good odds to chase.

Turn: (14.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Figured I had to bet out to see if they'd be scared of the king. Worst case, I figure I'm drawing to 4 outs.

River: (20.50 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Is my hand good here 1 time in 21? Maybe. Don't think there's any way I can get away from calling it down unless MP2 suddenly comes alive and I'm faced with the possibility of another raise or two behind me.

Final Pot: 23.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 23.50 BB, between Hero, MP2 and MP3.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by MP3 (23.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Jh Jd (two pair, jacks and fours).
MP2 shows Kh Qh (two pair, kings and fours).
MP3 shows 9d 9h (full house, nines full of fours).
Outcome: MP3 wins 23.50 BB. </font>

So... did I badly overplay this?
Old 06-27-2004, 07:18 PM

Default Re: any getting away from this hand?

Preflop: I cap here.
Flop: While your check-raise puts a lot of money in the pot, you have a vulnerable hand to any over cards and I think you're better off betting the flop hoping MP3 will raise and you can knock out other players - the flop isn't really draw heavy so I think there's a better chance of getting rid of some players.

I think you played the turn and river fine.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:34 PM

You tried to get fancy with the lack of cap pre-flop and the flop check-raise, which might be ok if you were heads up, but against six opponents you picked a bad time to get tricky. I would lay it down when I was raised on the turn when the king comes. If MP3 had K-A, he just outdrew you, and if the king doesn't scare him, then he could easily have aces or a set. Time to let go.....
Old 06-28-2004, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You tried to get fancy with the lack of cap pre-flop and the flop check-raise, which might be ok if you were heads up, but against six opponents you picked a bad time to get tricky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. It was a bad idea.

[ QUOTE ]
I would lay it down when I was raised on the turn when the king comes. If MP3 had K-A, he just outdrew you, and if the king doesn't scare him, then he could easily have aces or a set. Time to let go.....

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I'm getting at least 17:1 on the turn call, and even if he's on a set I'm still drawing to 3 straight outs.

It's true that I might be looking at a raise behind me, but I think that's relatively unlikely given how the hand has played out. Seems pretty straight forward. No pun intended. Ok... pun sort of intended, but I feel really bad about myself.

Am I missing something?
Old 06-28-2004, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: I cap here.
Flop: While your check-raise puts a lot of money in the pot, you have a vulnerable hand to any over cards and I think you're better off betting the flop hoping MP3 will raise and you can knock out other players - the flop isn't really draw heavy so I think there's a better chance of getting rid of some players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. Yours is a much better play. This concept seems to be coming up a lot lately, and I'm trying to do a better job of identifying opportunites to employ it.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

At this point, I'm tentatively putting MP3 on either overcards or a weakly played KK, but I don't know about MP2.

Turn: (14.50 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get this.

Only overcards he could have that dont have you beat are AQ,
is a guy who doesnt raise pf much going to 3 bet pf with AQ?

However if you really think he has KK, then what the heck are you doing?

Oh and that pesky MP2 is still hanging around. Does he have a K?

I know the pot is huge on the turn, but to me this a great place to fold.