Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2004, 04:32 AM

Default turn decision on draw heavy board with lots of action....need help

I feel like I played this passively, but I'm not sure what the correct line is. What would people do here on the turn- UTG is rather straightforward and MP is rather LAGgy. No read on SB

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, Hero calls,

Flop: (8 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP calls, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP raises</font>, SB calls,

Hero...?

I thought the board was clearly very draw heavy- there's two flushes and the straight draw. Is this worth two bets cold here? Should I have lead out the turn? I think in retrospect I should have 3bet on the flop and lead hte turn, but I'm not really sure...my problem is that while I possibly have up to 10 outs, there's a reasonable chance of me chopping if a 5 or a 10 comes out, and I might lose the whole thing if a flush picks it up. What's your play here?
Old 06-26-2004, 09:39 AM

Default Re: turn decision on draw heavy board with lots of action....need help

Having the 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] means if you make trips you are probably good. I don't worry about someone being on an inside straight draw. If they are that crazy you will take their money eventually. Even if you discount the 5&amp;T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] you are still only 4.75/1 to improve. Pot is laying 6/1 when UTG calls.

I call. (and everyone knows I play puss poker)
Old 06-26-2004, 11:47 AM

Default Re: turn decision on draw heavy board with lots of action....need help

I drop it here. You really do have to discount those spade outs, and you might be splitting if you hit. It's not inconceivable you are already beat, and I wouldn't be calling more than a bet on the river if you make trips (remember most players have a weird fetish for JTs). So you have less 6 outs. Right now you're getting 7:1 (assuming UTG calls and doesn't raise). That drops to 5.67:1 if UTG re-raises (not unlikely), and 5:1 with a 4-bet. Implied odds on the river are neglibible, as you don't really want action if you hit. So you have at best 7:1 on an at best 6.66:1 shot, either of which could get a lot worse. Not worth it.

In a game like this, 3-betting into two sure calls and leading the turn just serve to reduce your drawing odds. No reason to get fancy.