Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2004, 05:57 PM

Default T7s hand

Ahh, finally back on the West Coast. It feels good to be home.

Shocking 10-20 game. I forgot how good this game is. UTG is a very loose/aggressive guy about my age (young punk) that has been doing a Rounders-esque routine while capping with A3o, K9o, etc. He also seems to bet and bluff at any pot that is heads-up or three-handed.

UTG raises. Four players call. I call on the button with T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Both blinds call. We take the flop eight handed, which is pretty usual.

The flop is Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. UTG bets. The next player calls. Oddly the next three players fold. I raise. The blinds try hard to find a possible draw for their hands, but decide to fold for some reason. UTG three-bets, the middle caller folds, I call.

The turn is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG bets, I call.

The river is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG checks, I bet, and he folds.

Comments?

-Diplomat
Old 05-12-2004, 07:18 PM

Default Re: T7s hand

Fold preflop.

Raise the turn for sure. Don't want the A or K getting a cheap one. If you had the nut flush you could make an arguement for calling.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:21 PM

Is there a live button rake in your game or something? Why call 2 cold with T7s? I almost never even limp with that on the button unless the game is very loose passive.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fold preflop.

Raise the turn for sure. Don't want the A or K getting a cheap one. If you had the nut flush you could make an arguement for calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree with all points here.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:47 PM

fold preflop, flop fine, raise the turn. . .
Old 05-12-2004, 07:56 PM

Depending of which players the four coldcallers preflop are I may or may not call so I dont have an opinion about that in this case.

What I do have an opinion about is the flop, UTG being loose-aggressive I would cap the flop so I can keep on betting and raising if I flush the turn and hopefully I will keep getting action. If I just call the flop threebet and then raise the turn if I hit my flush he might slow down.
Then of course there is always the free river in case he didnt have such a great hand and decide to check the turn even if the flush doesnt hit.

Now, since you didnt cap the flop and then hit the flush I fully agree with just calling. I dont want to raise a bluff/weak hand out and I think a hand like top pair or better will both bet the river and pay off my raise when this kind of player is holding it unless the flush hits of course and he doesnt have it.

The river in this case is obviously nothing to be said about.

-Erik
Old 05-12-2004, 07:59 PM

preflop: fine with expected 8 way action.

Flop: fine get some money in the pot.

Turn: raise! Don't give a free ride to A or Ks. He might call with any spade.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UTG raises. Four players call. I call on the button with T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not good. What happens when you flop a ten? You pay $70 (or more?) to get to the showdown to see somebody else's KT? Your preflop call sets you up to pay extra money with any piece of the flop because the pot is so big and your only chance to get away from it is right here.

[ QUOTE ]
The turn is 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG bets, I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG is loose aggressive, what are you trying to accomplish here? Raise it up. It's not close.

Seriously, if you were in my game and I saw you play this way I would classify you as a fish.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not good. What happens when you flop a ten? You pay $70 (or more?) to get to the showdown to see somebody else's KT? Your preflop call sets you up to pay extra money with any piece of the flop...

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't play that hand to hit a ten. you're looking for a draw supported by the LOOSE players who go to far with their hands aka pay off your draw and don't charge you TOO much to hit it. if i flop a ten top pair its usually in the muck as it wasn't the flop i was looking for and will be giving severe reverse implied odds where i was looking to be the one getting those from the better hands.

-Barron
Old 05-12-2004, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if i flop a ten top pair its usually in the muck as it wasn't the flop i was looking for and will be giving severe reverse implied odds where i was looking to be the one getting those from the better hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are already 16 bets in the pot preflop so it's going to be hard (and usually incorrect) to muck if you hit a pair. This is a case where making a preflop mistake by calling can become very expensive even when you make all the correct decisions postflop.