Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2004, 03:49 AM

Default KJo UTG

It seems that humorous titles get little response..... [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

This is the hand I meant to post earlier (instead of the J9 hand) but it was a strange day.

PokerStars $2/$4 6 Max - 6 seated.

I have K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] UTG.

MP is unknown, CO is tight/passive, Button is very loose and stupid aggro, SB is reasonable player but a touch loose PF, BB is loose and tricky.

I raise, folded to SB who calls, BB calls.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, I bet, SB raises, BB calls, I 3-bet, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB checks, BB checks, I bet, SB folds, BB calls.

River: J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, I check.

Comments?

Results below in white:

<font color="white">BB turns over KsTh for the Rivered straight.</font>
Old 04-04-2004, 07:49 AM

Default Re: KJo UTG

go for the humourous titles - speaking for myself this title doesnt exactly spark my interest except that i'm a sad poker junkie

i was tempted to go the 1 word reply - fold - but then i remebered that i've been known to raise this UTG 6 handed once in a while

i bet the river and pay 2 more BB's than you - just look at the SB in this hand - he raised the flop, paid a 3 bet and folded the turn - who knows what these guys will have and what they will pay off with ? - i honestly think its an auto river bet

actually i recently went mad with J9o - i kept on getting it one night and throwing it away - i decided that i had so many shania points that i raised it UTG a couple of times and bet all the way through - didnt go so well

stripsqueez - chickenhawk

Old 04-04-2004, 08:19 AM

I haven't looked at the results yet.

I think you should fold this preflop. The flop and turn are fairly routine, although calling the flop and raising the turn might be slightly better. One of the reasons this may be correct is because the BB could easily be on a flush draw, and Mason wrote a good essay on why it's often better to raise the turn against probable flush draws.

On the river, you have an easy check. Here is the reason:
[ QUOTE ]
BB is loose and tricky.

[/ QUOTE ]
Getting check raised here would make me vomit.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:09 AM

This player played a flush and straight this way, and CR the River, costing me large $$. With the River giving him the straight with any T, I would have puked to see yet another CR (which was a certainty, if you see the results). I would normally value bet this hand every time, but given his tricky nature, and the fact that he obviously had something, that J suddenly didn't look good at all. This was the middle of an 80BB slide, and my cards were just never working out in pots like this.

In the end, I was pleased.
Old 04-04-2004, 09:21 AM

Default Preflop

You guys fold KJo UTG? Just curious - are your guys' pokertracker stats suggesting that you're losing money with the hand in that spot?

KTo and QJo are debatable; I've actually started to fold those most of the time, but KJo should be an autoraise, IMHO.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Preflop

Open-raising, first in from 2 or more off the button (in 6-max, 5/10 and 10/20 games), my KJo nets me .42 BB/hand. Sample size is 92 such plays. 3 off the button, same game type, same open raise, KJo nets me .22 BB/hand (sample size 40 hands). May be too small of sample size, but it will take a few beats to skew this to the negative.

Glad I wasn't alone. I think I would still play KJo for a raise UTG if it were slightly negative for the sake of shania. That makes more sense shorthanded than mixing it up with 78s, IMO.

KTo and QJo both depend on a lot of things.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:19 PM

You played it perfectly fine. It's good you took a free showdown.