Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2004, 12:39 AM

Default A simple AA hand (right?)

3 limpers and I raise A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] on the button. SB and limpers call, 5 to the flop. I have SB pegged as reasonably tight - not too likely to be calling my raise just because he's in a blind. He's got some sort of playable hand.

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked to me, I bet, SB check-raises, everyone folds, I call, planning to raise the turn. I don't think he'd c/r the heart draw - I'm pretty sure he's on a Q or some other pair trying to thin the field.

Turn: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

SB bets, I raise, SB calls.

River: 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB bets. I raise, intending to call a 3-bet. I just don't believe there's any way he has 2 pair or a flush, and if he's got a set, I'll pay him off. What I expect is that he'll pay me off with a big Q. Any problems with this line of play?
Old 02-15-2004, 01:31 AM

Default Re: A simple AA hand (right?)

When was the last time you were 3-bet on the river when you raised with one pair, and you called and won?
Old 02-15-2004, 08:51 AM

I think you lose to Q-9, both being black. I like the flop play, but your raises on the turn and river are not doing you any good, and costing you money. You raise pre-flop, but he checkraises the flop. Do you show caution? No! You raise both the turn and river with 1 (one) pair. Bad move, I would be very suprised if you won this one.
Old 02-16-2004, 04:13 PM

Vehn: Pretty rarely, but this IS Party 2/4. I've seen enough 3-bets on the river with worse that I'd feel compelled to see. Plus, I don't think he's going to 3-bet many hands besides the flush here, and I don't think he'd play the flush this way.

Hallett: I raised preflop and then bet the flop when it was checked to me. The possible hands he could check-raise with here include a ton of hands I can beat. When I don't 3-bet his check-raise, I think he's going to put me on AK just like everyone on Party likes to do to preflop raisers. Sure, he might have Q9...but if I think Q9 is a possible holding for him (and I think it's unlikely), QT, QJ, and KQ are also possible, and I beat all those. Given that I underrepresented my hand on the flop, slowing down to a turn bet seems way too weak to me.

I guess the river raise might be closer than I thought, but I was pretty locked in to my read of him having a big enough Q that two pair was unlikely.

For what it's worth, hand history says opponent had QJo, both black.