Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2004, 02:00 AM

Default Thanks Microlimits. A hand I would have screwed up before 2+2.

Party Poker 0.50/1 (10 handed)
Hero has 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and is BB

EP2 limps, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, MP3 limps, Button limps, SB limps, Hero checks

Flop(7 SB): 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

SB checks, Hero bets, EP2 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Button calls, SB folds

Turn(5.5 BB): A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero bets, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Button calls

River(8.5 BB): K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets, MP2 raises, Button calls, Hero 3-bets, MP2 calls, Button calls.

This is my first hand at this table, and it struck me after the hand that I never would have played it this way four months ago, before I found this forum. I've still got sizeable leaks, but this just happened to put me 1/3 of my way to 300BB at .5/1 since 1/1/04. Let me compare the old me and new me for you.

The old me: Uh, maybe I should fold this flop. No, I'm tired of folding. How bout I check-call, check-call, check-call? Wow, how'd I win this one?

The new me:
With a ragged flop, how am I gonna get money in for my flush draw? A checkraise may just drive folks out. Look at me, I'm betting my flush draw. What a good feeling.

On the river: Do I believe this man limped with AK? Do I think this raiser check-called his set or two pair? No I do not. Can I get more bets out of these guys? yes. yes I can.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:56 AM

Default Re: Thanks Microlimits. A hand I would have screwed up before 2+2.

lmao im exactly the same way, before i actually started trying to get good i would have been scared to death playing that hand
Old 02-03-2004, 09:53 AM

Well played.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 02-03-2004, 10:34 AM

Real nice [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

Lost Wages
Old 02-03-2004, 01:41 PM

Can you guys tell me why this was a good bet on the flop vs. just check calling ? I assume it is because you know that you would get at least 2 callers. (With a King showing and this many opponents, I don't think everyone will fold....). What if you get re-raised and drive the rest out, that would be unfortunate ?

The rest of the hand was perfectly played btw.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2004, 02:07 PM

Can you guys tell me why this was a good bet on the flop vs. just check calling ?

In general, betting gives you two ways to win (make the best hand or get everyone to fold), checking and calling gives you one (make the best hand). If you are going to call then why not bet? In this example, you figure to get enough callers to make it a value bet.

What if you get re-raised and drive the rest out, that would be unfortunate ?

Sure, but the flip side is you might get a couple callers then a raise and then you can make it three bets.

Lost Wages
Old 02-03-2004, 02:49 PM

Right, it's a good value bet because you have a 1/3 chance of making your flush and there figure to be several callers. It also represents a king which undoubtedly won him several extra big bets on this hand. He avoided the check-call-3rd [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]-bet signature of a made flush that scares away the action. Even driving out hands can be good if it folds a single high diamond before it can redraw to a higher flush.

Which brings up a note of caution. You are up front with small cards. If you catch a lot of heat from the rear you might slow down in case you are drawing dead against a bigger flush draw.

Nicely played bisonbison!
Old 02-03-2004, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What if you get re-raised and drive the rest out, that would be unfortunate ?

Sure, but the flip side is you might get a couple callers then a raise and then you can make it three bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd only call that raise to encourage the others to call just one more bet and because I'm afraid I don't really have odds anymore. How many kings are there in this deck? And if someone doesn't have a king, then the next logical choices are a big suited diamond (oops) or a set which has many outs to a full house.
Old 02-04-2004, 12:00 AM

From the preflop limpfest, the table appears pretty passive so a raise is somewhat unlikely. Even if it is raised, as long as a few players have called already you don't really care. Maybe he could check and see how things develop, but with this many people I think betting is fine most of the time.