Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2004, 11:22 AM

Default First time at a B&M and a hand I question.

4/8 at the Belagio. I have been at the table about i 1 hour and have have a pretty good run of cards. I am up about $200 and have not had to show down many hands. I notice that the player sitting on the opposite corner from me (MP in the hand) is grumbling about me buying pots (I have been getting VERY good cards) so I get the impression that he thinks I am a bluffer.

I am SB and get AKo

UTG and UTG+1 call
MP raises
LP calls
I decide not to re-raise out of position so I just call (I had been raising my good hands all pretty hard PF.)
BB, UTG, UTG+1 call.

Flop is AAK

I come out with a bet, folded to MP who raises, folded back to me so I reraise and he calls.

Turn is a J.

This time I check, he bets, and I raise. He calls.

River is a blank. I bet he calls.

Any comments? did I play wrong by coming out betting?

Results to follow.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:50 AM

Default Re: First time at a B&M and a hand I question.

You played it fine.

I'm surprised people were raising that much PF at the 4/8. I sat in for a little at the 4/8 waiting to move up and one hand both AA and KK were out and neither of the players raised until they saw that the flop was "safe". People are Fing weird.

- Jim
Old 01-26-2004, 12:11 PM

I'd 3-bet preflop.

Seems like you played the rest perfectly.

Welcome to the forum,
Joe Tall
Old 01-26-2004, 12:21 PM

I agree that you have a value 3-bet preflop...................

But the call gives you a lot of deception on later streets.................................

Which is pointless since you were able to c/r an opponent after 3-betting the flop.....................

I think you missed out on 4 bucks. Although, I played a hand last night at 5/10 almost the same way. I closed the betting in the SB with an MP raiser and 2 or 3 cold callers with AKo and just called instead of 3-betting. I check 3-bet my TPTK on the flop which I don't think I would have pulled off if I had 3-bet. Normailly i would 3-bet here, but against my opponenents I felt very good with this play. It seems here that you were either a)reading MP very well and using that to your advantage (good [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]) or b) targeting him to make him pay for his comments (bad [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]).

May your cards always be live and your pots be monsters,
AA
Old 01-26-2004, 12:40 PM

Looks fine.

Not 3 betting preflop probably kept MP in the hand to a showdown. But betting the flop after cold calling got you 3 bets there. Too bad everyone folded.
Old 01-26-2004, 01:09 PM

Default Preflop AKo, value bet?

With AKo, is this a value bet on preflop that everyone is suggesting? Because if Vinnie decided to reraise preflop, then he could have lost 3 bets (BB, UTG, UTG+1). Or should he reraise to reduce the number of players that will see the flop?
Old 01-26-2004, 01:18 PM

3-betting PF would have probably gotten you another 3-4 sb depending on the BB - calling 2 might well have knocked him out. But that bet might well have caused MP to fold to your flop bet as well, ending the hand right there. Given your monster hand, I might have considered waiting until the turn to see if it gives anyone else a hand with which they'll stay; the J, for example, might have made someone a set or perhaps a straight (if they're willing to fight it out with QT!). As it turns out, MP went for the turn CR anyway so you made out well.

[ QUOTE ]

Results to follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a wild guess, but I suspect you won the pot. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] What did he have, KQs?
Old 01-26-2004, 03:33 PM

MP turned over QQ.