Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2003, 11:35 AM

Default Funny Semibluff Outcome

Good 10/20 at la Borgata. It's getting late and it's down to 7 handed. I am dealt the fairly famous 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the big blind. Folded to a weak opponent on the button, who calls, sb completes, and I of course check.

Flop comes 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I'll take it. SB will bet almost anything here and fold on the turn if he doesn't really have a hand. He bets out, and I semibluff raise with the most powerful hand in poker to attempt to pop out the button, who will only call if he has at least a pair. The button furrows his eyebrows, stares at the cards, and calls. Great. The SB calls. The turn comes the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I don't really like my hand as much, but I believe I can represent the 8 here if the SB doesn't bet again, and take it down. SB checks, I bet, button immediately calls and SB sends it to the muck. I cross my fingers. The dealer burns and throws down the 5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] . Welp. This one didn't get there. I don't even want to mess around mr. weak-tight-gone-calling station, and I know he must have at least 8s over sixes. I check and grab my cards to send them to the muck for a bet.

Well, my opponent checks, and says "Hope you don't have a 6," he turns over 44 and says "2 pair". A huge grin comes to my face. "2 pair, 7 kicker" and I turn over my monster. The dealer starts to push the pot towards me whilt the table laughs and my opponent is very confused. I felt a little bit bad for him, but then he called me an "f-ing fish" and grabbed his chips and left, beat red. I was a little shocked at his reaction, but I probably didn't stop laughing for 45 minutes afterward. Whaddya think, how would you have played this hand?
-James
Old 11-18-2003, 11:55 AM

Default Re: Funny Semibluff Outcome

7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]...ok, just had to let that sink in...First off, as we all know, you definitely weren't the fish on this hand. The button holding a pair when it was folded to him made a horrible move not raising. I would say you played this hand just fine, semibluffing with the open-end straight draw. By betting, you got the SB off of likely overcards and your weak opponent gave you a pot he could have taken for one bet. Good work.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:44 PM

Looks like you missed a bet on the river.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:48 PM

I hate your play. Raising the flop doesn't make much sense to me. It's a pretty lame semi-bluff IMO.
Old 11-18-2003, 03:13 PM

don't particular like or dislike flop raise, but river check is the worst. bet since u have been represending the 8. this will fold anything with a 7. such A7, T7, J7... and even a 6 a lot of the times. you were literally giving the pot away.

Kenny
Old 11-18-2003, 04:42 PM

Bet the river.

Bet. The. River.

He only needs to fold 1 time in every 6 for the bet to be profitable. There is a very good chance he has the same hand as you (as in, holds a seven, but with a bigger kicker) and was drawing to the straight as well, especially when he just calls the turn.

I guess, looking at the results, it would have been a value bet too. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

-Diplomat
Old 11-18-2003, 04:59 PM

Funny thing is that if he had bet the river, he might get called by the 44 (not realizing he got counterfeited). That would have been an amazingly thin value bet by our hero ;-)

Regards
Old 11-18-2003, 05:06 PM

All good hold'em stories involve double paired boards. Here is my favorite one:

I'm playing a LL live game a while back and not involved in the hand. The big blind is an extremely aggressive bully who quite frankly didn't seem to be all there. 4 players limp in and he checks. The flop is Q 7 3 and checked around. The turn is another Q, its checked to the button who bets, the BB checkraises, the other players fold, and now the button 3-bets. The blind calls. The river is a trey. The big blind checks and calls. The button looks at his cards for a minute and says "If you can call, I can't win" and tosses them into the muck. I'm sure I don't have to tell you what the big blind turned over.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:09 PM

i was just thinking of that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2003, 05:39 PM

I was playing online, once where I had 44 on a 552 flop. The turn and river came running 8s and after raising the flop and betting the turn I was heads up and figured I wasn't going to fold anything now and checked. As soon as I checked I was kicking myself for giving away my only chance at the pot ... until the pot slid my way. He had 33 and my 4-high takes it.