Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2001, 03:45 AM

Default turn decision

Let say there are two limpers in front of you and you raise KK in late position. Both limper calls. 3 players see the flop of JJ8 two tone. You bet, one limper call. The turn brings 5 (not the flush card). Limper checks to you. What should you do?? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old 10-04-2001, 06:27 AM

Default Re: turn decision

Generally you should bet here again IMO. The board has straight and flushdraws in it, so you cant give a player a free card to the flush or straight. Often even hands with a gutshot and overcard or something will call the flop, but fold the turn to a bet. You cant give them a free card either. You also dont want an A to have a free shot at you. It depends on the players whether to call a check-raise or not, but in the limits I play in, I would often call them down, since these players are capable of making these plays with straight or flushdraws to push me off a better hand.

When the board would be JJxx rainbow, it would become a lot closer.

Regards
Old 10-04-2001, 07:34 PM

I would bet again, unless this player is a total rock and notoriously slowplayer. They could easily have a draw and you do not want to let them see the river for free. Don't let callers slow you down when the board gets a little scary and you have position and a good hand. Keep the pressure on. You might lose a bit here and there but the pots you win will be bigger too.

KJS
Old 10-05-2001, 02:23 PM

The texture of the flop is important. If the flop were, say J-J-2 rainbow, and my opponent called my flop bet, I might be wary of betting on the turn, or I might check to try to induce a river bet from my opponent. After all, what could he have been calling with on a flop of J-J-2? (He might have a smallish pocket pair.) But with the flop J-J-8 two-tone, there are lots of drawing hand he could be callling with. So I would bet the turn.