Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2001, 09:09 PM

Default enough about showing hands

What about talking?

I have a habit of talking about hands at the table. Verbalizing what I think other players have when bad players make calls against players that I know aren't bluffing.

As an example of talking too much:

Just yesterday I asked to see the cards of a couple of players that were head up and raising each other. The guy next to me said "what can you possibly get from seeing their cards". I said do you really want to know. He said yes. So I told him that it gives me ideas about starting hand criteria, whether they'll raise on the draw, whether they'll re-raise with second pair if they have position, etc etc. He still smirked and thought I was foolish.

But the question is:

How come I didn't just say something like - well I'm not in the hand anymore and this is the only way I can do anything to be in the hand. And then act clueless and just smile?

And also, how bad is discussing play while playing?

Thanks,

-Michael

Old 09-07-2001, 04:18 PM

Default Re: enough about showing hands

While you might not be violating any official rules, you are certainly treading over several ethical standards.

The rules of thumb are:

> Don't ask to see someone's cards after a showdown unless you suspect collusion.

> Definitely don't talk about the play if you're not in the hand.

> Better to not talk about the play of a hand in which you're involved if there are 2 or more opponents.

> If it's headsup, you might verbally speculate to try to pick up a tell, but some feel that even that is unethical.

Observation is good if you don't know your opponents, but talking about the play while in progress is usually a big no-no. But I have a feeling you already knew that.