Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2003, 08:15 AM

Default Who bets this river?

Typical $4-$8 game at the Trop last night.

I complete after 3 limpers with 33.

Flop 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked around.

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Checked around.

River 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

I rivered a set, but someone could have the flush. I bet $8 to win $16, so I decide to check call.

Everyone checks and the set held up. Anyone bet in this spot, or would someone have checked to induce a bluff?

Old 10-17-2003, 08:59 AM

Default Re: Who bets this river?

I believe this should be a bet almost every time. No one has shown any strength, and since you apparently like this 3, you will get called down by hands with the middle pairs, or maybe raised by an ace if I remember the games at the Trop well enough. If you get raised, I would just call, as it is still very possible you have the best hand..but you cant overplay with the flush out there. Basically, this is a value bet because it is a wonderful situation to get called down by worse hands, and even though you are only getting 2:1 on your bet, I think that the # of people who will call or raise with a lesser hand(which they will have way more than they have a flush, with this sort of action) will more than make up for the time you get raised or for some stupid reason called by someone that beats you. Bet, I say.
-James
-James
Old 10-17-2003, 09:10 AM

I would bet here almost every time. No one showed strength on the flop and if someone was four flushed I would expect a semi-bluff attempt on the turn after the flop was checked through.

If the table was uber-passive someone may have hit the flush - but with the previous action described I think the bet will get called by worse hands more often than you will be against a flush. Just dont go crazy and three bet if someone raises [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So I would bet and call a raise.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:18 AM

I thought if I checked someone might take a stab at the pot and bet it for me.

As it turned out, my unimproved 3's would have won the hand.
Old 10-17-2003, 09:19 AM

I would bet. You could easily be up against a weak ace or another made pair that might not bet, but would call thinking you are bluffing at the pot.