Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 10:47 PM

Default I\'m nearly there (A lesson for Beginners) Very long

Like most I started seeing poker on the T.V. liked it of course and found out that you can play it on the internet via my cousin. Of course he is a no limit player (just like they do it on t.v. so naturally that was what I knew.

I opened an account on Pokerroom and deposited $50. I then used $10 to play at the .25-.50 limit tables. After losing all my money and coming to the conclusion that it was because you always lose and when you finally get a big hand you can't bet enough to win all your loses back. So of course I started playing no limit. This started ok until I eventually went broke.

The next step in my career was to buy Ken Warren's Teachers texas hold em from Amazon. Of course this happened to be in a bundle with HEFAP.(Lucky Me) So after reading Warren's book I played .25-.50 and won a little but not much as I kept getting drawn out on. So I moved up to .5-1 same thing happened but not as bad. Finally I came to $1-2. This was my limit. I was killing it people were folding when they were meant to and I had doubled my 3rd $50 investment. Then it kept growing and growing until it was around $300. Of course I then managed to lose it all and of course deposit more. I then stumbled across this website curteosy of the back of HEFAP. and discovered this forum and the link to bonus whoring. So what do I do. Deposit another $100 and then clear some bonuses but lose more than I win at the crypto $1-2.

Finally it all happened I was down $450 but I decided to buy some books to learn how to play. I bought WLLHE SSHE and ToP of which I am yet to read. I also decided to play in the .25-.50 Interpoker site to slowly clear there stackable monthly bonus with the $100 that I deposited.

So so far I spent $550 in deposits alone which is quite a bit for me to play poker before I learnt how to play. According to poker tracker in a matter of 4 months I have taken the negative $550 to -$130 or there abouts. Of course due to bonus whoring I am making around $600 a month so I have easily paid off the debts and are starting to build a br and still have some spending money.

My tactic has been simple. At each site play 15K hands at the lowest level and if after that I have a 2BB/100 win then up a limit I go.

So far after 11K at crypto .25-.50 I have 4.8bb
Party and skins 16K .90bb/100 (was up at 4 around 6K mark before the split but have been playing skins ever since to clear bonuses) And finally I have returned to Poker room where I am at 2K at .25/.50 2.7BB/100. I am currently clearing the PR and Euro bonuses and am up $200 while clearing these bonuses at $1/2.

I have been making on average $600 a month these past few months (October was a shocker only up $50 after bonuses.) And are nearly a winning player. (only $130 to go.)

My cousin who doesn't bonus whore has taken his BR from $30 initial deposit to $800 in about a year. He is happy but I think what a waste.

In summary
-grab those bonuses and sign up for rakeback when you are learning to play the game at the lower limits. Once you can beat these limits move up.
-The lower your limit the better it is to look for bonuses that don't expire as you will take a while to clear.
-Read books especialy SSHE don't assume you know everything like a certain cousin of mine who beleives he has learnt all he needs to know from T.V.
-Don't rush things. Take your time, slowly move up limits when you are a better player not when your BR is big enough.
-Have fun.

Hope this helps all who are thinking poker is not for them.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: I\'m nearly there (A lesson for Beginners) Very long

Interesting post, particularly the part about studying - which many fail to do.

How many tables do you play at the various sites/limits?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:42 PM

Can I ask how many hours (approx) a week do you play?
I am a beginner too.

Regards,
Ian
Old 11-30-2005, 01:00 PM

Very nice post; thanks for posting your experiences.

I'd be very eager to have you look at the FAQ ( http://poker.wikicities.com/wiki/Beginners_FAQ ), especially the first item "Getting Started", and add anything you think we might have missed. Of course that goes for everyone, not just the OP.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can I ask how many hours (approx) a week do you play?
I am a beginner too.

Regards,
Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you asking me or the OP? FWIW I play between 25-35 hours a week if ur asking me.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:21 PM

Sorry- I meant the OP. But obviously interested to hear anyone's experience.

Ian
Old 11-30-2005, 05:52 PM

I usually 4 table .25/.50 and party skins at .50/1

I 2 table at pokerroom 1/2 as it requires more concentration from me. Obviously the better I get the more tables I'll play but max out at 4.

Hours per week I would say I play between 10-15 hours. My GF doesn't like me gambling so that leaves it to every second day.