Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2003, 08:46 AM

Default Super/System 7cs section by Chip Reese

I've heard that this is very good and not as dated as some of the other advice in the book. Would people here agree?

On a side note, does anyone know what happened to the guy who wrote the lowball section (Joey Hawthorne?)? All the other writers are still "names" but I've never heard of this guy.
Old 05-30-2003, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Super/System 7cs section by Chip Reese

The whole book, including Reese's 7- stud section, is dated. But it's also a great, great book. Still well worth reading, just don't make it the only one you read. I just posted the same question about Joey Hawthorne and someone replied that he died from drug abuse years ago -- don't know if that is correct, though.
Old 05-30-2003, 12:08 PM

The stud section of S/S is excellent, the one section that has stood the test of time. The rest of the book is dated because either the games aren't played anymore or their structures have changed substantially. Stud still has the same basic structure it did when S/S was written.

Joey Hawthorne is definitely dead. I'm pretty sure it was drug-related.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:10 PM

The section's great. Plus, the hi-lo stud section is for no qualifier but has lots of good stuff to think about which will definitely help your stud/8 game.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:30 PM

I agree w/all this; Stud section not dated at all, IMO, and the hi/lo section is very interesting. Just remember, the 8 qualifier makes an ENORMOUS difference, as does a declare; completely different games than 8 or better-no declare.

Joey Hawthorne=dead junkie, & Mike Caro has strongly hinted that he himself wrote the lion's share of the Lowball section. Fairly obvious that Doyle wrote the 2-7 part himself.
Old 06-04-2003, 05:36 PM

When I say the Reese section is dated, I mean only that what was state of the art, advanced thinking 30 years ago is now more general knowledge. Stuff like raising with a big three flush for instance. The Sklansky/Malmuth 7CSFAP contains much more specific, detailed information and builds on the Reese section. One thing Reese pays too little attention to in his draws section is dead cards (he does mention it a couple of times, but doesn't stress how important it is). Overall, his thought process and the way he explains things is still fascinating.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:01 PM

The advice in the 7cs high sections IS still very good. It doesn't differ much in its general advice on stud from the 2+2 book except that the newer book covers more topics.