Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2005, 06:33 PM

Default My Name is Beset7 and I Played a Set Passively

Villain is 25/7/1.5pf_agression over about 120 hands. He seems fairly predictable though he does raise draws a bit, etc. He's not a total donkey is what I'm saying.

Flame away! The check behind on the flop combined with the raise on the turn made my nuts shrivel up.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Button ($95.78)
SB ($158.22)
Hero ($236.65)
UTG ($109.60)
MP ($129.30)
CO ($150.65)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls $4.

Flop: ($10.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Turn: ($10.50) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $20</font>, Hero calls $15.

River: ($50.50) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $35</font>, Hero calls $35.

Final Pot: $120.50
Old 10-01-2005, 07:12 PM

Default Re: My Name is Beset7 and I Played a Set Passively

What exactly are you afraid of here? I 3bet turn and without a solid read I doubt I'd fold to a push. You're beating everything except higher set and that happens once in a blue moon(happened once to me in 30k++ hands)
Old 10-01-2005, 07:28 PM

I dislike the turn. I think you can make an argument for trying to keep the pot small though, since he has a huge hand range and there's tons of river scare cards to be contesting a huge pot for.

River is just straight up AWFUL! JJ/KK are not likely for a 7% PFR here with those post flop stats. No reasonable others beat you, so CRAI, or at least raise it a bit.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:32 PM

my thinking at the time was that there are only a couple hands that check behind on the flop and then make a PSR that I beat. 2pr or top pair with a flush draw being the most notable. Why would I escalate the pot here? Reason it out for me. Not just, set over set never happens.

and btw, i don't mean to be a dick, but I'm a little incredulous that you have played 30K++ hands and only suffered set over set once. In my last 10k its happened to me 4 times. Do you not play low pairs up front or something? Unless you just aren't playing low PPs that is a major statistical abberation.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:33 PM

That's a brillian turn bet if you had a read that said he would sense weakness and raise. You just forgot to 3-bet it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] KK/JJ, meh...hard to see him playing it this way, sorta, kinda. But who knows what goes on in the minds of fish. Slowplaying is so cool in their eyes.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:49 PM

The check behind on the flop coupled with the insta-raise PSR on the turn looked really strong to me. I usually pot it there but I actually wanted a raise as you mentioned. But when he raised, i went into the think tank and tried to put him on a hand range. I think that is actually possible with someone who is reasonably tight. I'm not even sure he is a fish.

Maybe this is an easy turn or river push, but honestly. What range of hands do you think raises UTG, checks behind on a hairy board, and then makes a PSR when someone bets 1/2 the pot into them on a relative blank? I don't think I have much equity against that range.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:54 PM

You said he likes to bet his draws. Maybe he has a A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or some variation of the sort. I 3-bet the turn.
Old 10-01-2005, 07:59 PM

His flop play depends on YOU. If you CR continuation bets a lot, then he has every reason to check there.

If you call CB's too often, he has every reason to check there.

If you don't call CB's without monsters though, then his check is very akward.

I'm ok with a turn call as long as you CR the river. Most turn bluffs will follow it up if you act hesitant in your call.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and btw, i don't mean to be a dick, but I'm a little incredulous that you have played 30K++ hands and only suffered set over set once. In my last 10k its happened to me 4 times. Do you not play low pairs up front or something? Unless you just aren't playing low PPs that is a major statistical abberation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play all PPs from all positions etc (5/10 rule for raises) and if I hit I very rarely fold. I've logged 31k hands (and played 10k or so before format that are not in PT) and afaik only 1 set over set, any way to check this in PT?
Old 10-01-2005, 08:23 PM

Does anybody change their tune if you found out that villains vpip UTG is 15? very small sample obviously and i didn't check this during the hand so it can't be used to rationalize what apparently everyone thinks is a -ev call down.