Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2003, 05:53 PM

Default Bottom set on monotone flop

UB 5/10. First lap at this table, seems fairly typical.

I'm dealt 22 on the button. Folded around to poster in CO, who checks. I call, SB calls and four of us see the flop.

Flop - 2s As Ks

BB bets, poster and I call.

Turn - Jc (this hand just keeps getting better)

BB bets, only I call.

River - 4c

BB checks, I bet, BB calls.

I take it down. BB had Qd3s for...a Queen.

-- Homer
Old 05-02-2003, 05:56 PM

Default Comments

I think I should have raised the turn after the poster folded and it got to be heads-up. If BB is drawing I charge him the maximum to do so by raising. If he has a flush or straight he will likely reraise in which case I can fold if I don't fill on the river. Then again, he did pay me off with a Queen on the river after I only called the turn! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

-- Homer
Old 05-02-2003, 06:56 PM

Default Re: Bottom set on monotone flop

Fold preflop. I'd raise the flop.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:11 PM

I'd raise the flop, and failing that, raise the turn.
Old 05-02-2003, 07:16 PM

Default Re: Comments

Would you really fold a set for one river bet in a heads up pot? I don't think I've ever done that before (at least not online). I agree that you should have raised on the turn. In addition to the times he is drawing, you will get 3 BB when he has a weaker made hand than yours, which seems likely given the board texture. There are many scare cards that will induce him to check the river, thus only allowing you to only collect 2 if you wait till the river.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:34 PM

Default Re: Comments

Against this particular opponent, a three-bet from out of position means that he has a flush or straight, I am nearly 100% certain. Against almost all opponents I would not fold a set on the river for one bet, but against this opponent I would.

-- Homer

p.s. - If you posted the same hand I'd probably say that you would be crazy to fold a set on the river for a single bet heads-up as well! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 05-02-2003, 08:39 PM

Ulysses/JR, why raise the flop instead of the turn? If my opponent is likely to be betting a club draw (or a weaker made hand for that matter), then aren't I better off waiting until the turn to pop him? I should think that this would be even better due to the third player in the hand between us, who could also be on a club draw or have a worse made hand.

-- Homer
Old 05-02-2003, 08:52 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

havent seen your comments yet...

i wouldve raised the flop. capped if the middle guy stayed in.

nice bet on the end

b
Old 05-02-2003, 08:58 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

on a scary board like this, i want to find out soon if im behind or drawing. id much rather be 3 bet on the flop here than on the turn. unless this player is likely to jam a draw on the flop. THEN i may wait til the turn. since the info would be better gained.

but of course, you could fold to the bet on the river if you miss after being 3 bet. *player dependent

you could play it both ways. my preference is the flop

b
Old 05-02-2003, 09:27 PM

hi holm
played terribly. i was about to say that you've improved as of late, but then you post this thing. holmer, if anything you must raise out the less than J of suit. if the board fours it, some calling station will call you down with a lousy T or 9 and even less of suit. you must get rid of them by raising at every opportunity. but here, you should also raise to get more money in the pot with the likely best hand. no matter how much you try to beat this game, you never will unless you develop the ability to assess when you're in the lead and also when you must protect your hand. this post is terrible. your losing money here. you must bet and raise with your set holm.