Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2003, 03:19 PM

Default Boat on the flop

Loose LL online game. Mostly passive pre-flop. 2 very loose players at the table in SB and on the button. I have 77 in EP. Limper to me, I call, MP and button call, SB, BB call.

Flop comes 2 7 2 rainbow. Checked to button, who bets, SB calls, limper folds, I call, MP calls, button calls.

Turn is J (2 7 2), two diamonds. SB checks, I bet, MP calls, button calls, SB calls.

River is A J (2 7 2), 3 diamonds. SB checks, I bet, CO raises, button and SB fold, I re-raise, CO calls.

Comments?
Old 04-30-2003, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Boat on the flop

Flop - I would bet it myself. No one is going to believe you have a 2. Most players will put you on 7x and will call with overcards. It would suck to have it get checked around.

-- Homer
Old 04-30-2003, 03:40 PM

Interesting. I was thinking it would stink if I bet and everyone folded. I figured I had just about all the good cards. I was willing to have it checked around to let someone hit their overcard or catch a draw on the turn. Or bet their overpair on the flop.

Button and SB are playing anything, so a 2 is possible. And button is betting with absolutely nothing, so I'm hoping he'll stop a check-around.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:48 PM

Again, this might be the case of the right decision depending on the game texture. In my typical game, opponents will take one off on the flop with pretty much anything. I want to give them the chance to do so. Also, players will be more likely to raise me on the turn with less than monster holdings if I bet on the flop. If I check-call the flop then bet or check-raise the turn I might slow my opponents down, which I don't want.

It sounds like in your game a flop bet actually has a chance of causing players to fold (amazing!). If this is the case, I can understand your check, especially if the button doesn't ever let the flop get checked around.

-- Homer
Old 04-30-2003, 04:02 PM

There is something to your point here. I haven't had any success with my "EP bet into a paired board with very little in order to fold everyone" play for so long that I don't use it anymore.

The games I'm playing in don't have too many aggressive non-monster raises on the turn. I'm assuming your betting enough draws on the flop to induce these raises on the turn.

Hadn't thought about that. If I'm betting a lot of draws on the flop, I have to call more raises on the turn. hmmmm.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:18 PM

i don't understand.. homer, you mentioned that it would suck to have it check around on the flop, but unless i misread the initial post, someone bet into residentparanoid, and he just called, which i think is the move.
Old 04-30-2003, 05:23 PM

Res checked the flop from EP and the button bet. I agree that if one of the blinds bet into him then he should just call and wait until the turn to come to life.

-- Homer
Old 04-30-2003, 07:34 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

except waiting for the turn to 'come to life' and kill your action. that is, if youre meaning a c/r

i think he played the hand fantastic. especially the turn. betting out, they may be wondering what he's betting on. it's not a real strong move so theyd be more likely to call.

lots of options this hand, as you say. texture and opponents tendency to play certain hands a certain way makes some options better than others. kind of like the flopping quads post somewhere below. or above. wherever the hell it is...haha

b
Old 05-01-2003, 12:13 PM

That's my strategy here, stay limp on the flop and hope someone catches something worth calling with on the turn. I only expect (hope for?) steal bets on the flop. Learned not to make the strong move on the turn from you, bernie, a few months back. I also got lucky (I think) that MP hit a flush or something, or was laying low with a 2.