Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 05:57 AM

Default Question for conservatives re: role of women

I think I'm not mistaken when I say that modern conservatives tend to be in favor of

(1) Strong family with traditional values, ie. cohesion, common goals, man as strong head of household and breadwinner with woman as loving nuturer and supporter.

(2) Economic progress based on free enterprise

So the natural question is: what should be the role of women in society? If it is to stay at home, raise the family, support the husband etc. then (1) is satisfied at the expense of (2)

If women work their way up the corporate ladder to maximize their contribution to the workforce then (2) is satisfied at the expense of (1)

Phrased another way, when values (1) and (2) are in conflict, which one must be sacrificed in favor of the other?

IMO a true conservative will rank (1) as more important and make some sacrifices on (2) if need be.

Thoughts?
Old 09-13-2005, 06:58 AM

Default Re: Question for conservatives re: role of women

[ QUOTE ]
(1) Strong family with traditional values ie. cohesion, common goals, man as strong head of household and breadwinner with woman as loving nuturer and supporter.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've constructed the quintessential strawman. Great job.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:11 AM

I dont know anywhere that says in the conservative platforum that women should stay at home and not work. Maybe pre 1942.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont know anywhere that says in the conservative platforum that women should stay at home and not work. Maybe pre 1942.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not the Republican platform, but then I'd question their conservatism, or if they claim to be conservatives then I'd ask what it is they're conserving?

Honest question here, not a frivolous provocation...I'm farther to the right than most righties and I'm genuinely curious to see how people resolve what seems to be a paradox.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:37 AM

That problem would seem to exist outside politics.

The only real political thing involved there is the so called marraige penalty, and I'm pretty sure that was reduced in the latest tax cuts.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That problem would seem to exist outside politics.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean this forum only deals with day-to-day stuff in the US and not more general, long-term, worldwide issues?
Old 09-13-2005, 09:00 AM

What I'm saying is that it's more of a social/moral dilemma faced by women. My mom had the same dilemma raising me, but I'm really not sure what one can do about it.

Other then the tax treatment I noted, I see precious little governmental policies either in favor or against particular decisions women might make.

Most of the consturctive talk I've heard on the subject is of a cultural basis, what our society should do to alleviate that burden. However, culture exists outside the bounds of government.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:06 AM

Are you meaning the small 'c' or the big 'C'? The way I see it the values you are talking about belong in the past, equality between sexes is the future, so option 1 will be sacrificed ultimately for option 2.

I'm all for tying women to the kitchen sink, just not for washing up! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Mack
Old 09-13-2005, 09:35 AM

I always thought the culture of a country determines the government, so I don't see the issues as completely separable.

I live in Hungary, which is a pretty conservative country. The belief in women's traditional roles manifests itself in stuff like employers having to keep positions available for up to 3 years after a woman takes maternity leave. And if they try to fire her for "economic" reasons then they will almost certainly face a suit with grim chances of success.

It's a recipe for economic disaster and such laws represent the worst of both worlds IMO, but it's a good illustration of how conservatism makes its way into laws (albeit with faulty logic).

As for the dilemma facing the women I agree it's there for many and it's a big one, but my question is mainly for conservative men (or their wives who tend to agree with them) -- basically do you make policies to encourage women to be homemakers and have more children rather than entering high-power, high-stress careers, recognizing that it has a certain economic cost, or do you just leave it as it is now which is basically a non-conservative stance on the issue?

Or if the current stance IS conservative, then please tell me what conservatism is conserving?
Old 09-13-2005, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm all for tying women to the kitchen sink, just not for washing up!

[/ QUOTE ]

So you believe that but just resign yourself to that not being possible anymore? That's not how I know Americans. In every economic, military, or political issue they fight to the bitter end to make the world what they want it to be. Why not this one? Is it just not important enough? Maybe it's just me but I see it as the key to almost everything in life.

[Edit] Just realized my assumption of you being American is probably wrong, but the Brits are pretty similar in taking charge of their own fate, no?