Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 08:34 AM

Default flopped a boat, unsure about the best decision on the flop

My opponent is a solid TAG-player from the hands I had seen him in, he hadn't done that much raising preflop the orbits I had been sitting with him, so his raise to me indicated a premium hand.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

BB ($40.40)
Hero ($77.55)
MP ($17.03)
CO ($83.77)
Button ($21.75)
SB ($69.10)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $0.75. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
Hero calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO (poster) raises to $2.5</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls $2.50, Hero calls $2.50.

Flop: ($9.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to $16</font>, BB folds, Hero????
The way I play my lead can be a flush draw, oesd, any pair of better, his reraise made me certain he had either an overpair or AJ. My question is natuarlly if pushing right here or calling and hopefully get in a check-raise all in on the turn the best play against this type of opponent and his likely holdings? I am really torn on what is the best play here, a good opponent might very well get away from an overpair here if I push, but might also slow down considerbly on the turn if any of the scarecards to his holding hits.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:39 AM

Default Re: flopped a boat, unsure about the best decision on the flop

What about flat calling and representing an OESD or flush draw, and then check-calling turn and betting river?

If you raise the flop once more, he will pretty much know you have a 9 or better. I would'nt really worry about his overpair making a better full house because it's very unlikely to happen. Concentrate on extracting the most
Old 09-02-2005, 09:15 AM

Fold preflop. The way you played it, assuming he's a TAG...call, pray for a low black card and check/raise the turn. If he's a TAG, you need to convince him he still has the best hand. Let him hang himself on the turn.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:20 AM

Barring fold pre-flop..

Stop and go, call-lead any turn, doesn't even have to be a pot sized bet, push the river.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:48 AM

just call here..if you push a jack folds. Would this guy raise a flush draw and hope to check behind on the turn? I probably call and lead the turn small enough to give flushes the odds to draw. If the flush hits I push river. If the flush doesn't hit I make another smallish value bet.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:24 AM

Isn't a flushdraw pretty unlikely here?
Old 09-02-2005, 10:36 AM

a flush draw it not something I even consider him having in this kind of spot, after thinking more about the hand I think that pushing would have been best, I usually push in this kind of spot if I have a gutshot and flushdraw or a better draw, so why not with this hand, If I call he might still convince himself that I have 9, a diamond can hit the turn to kill my action since now both a 9 and a flush beats him, an ace could fall that slows down QQ-KK, etc.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:39 AM

Or an A, K or Q could fall and that slows down J-9.