Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 08:50 PM

Default Poker is ....

What % Psychology and what % probablity? You can also specify what game. I think generally, its 75% Psychology and 25% Probablity.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Poker is ....

[ QUOTE ]
What % Psychology and what % probablity? You can also specify what game. I think generally, its 75% Psychology and 25% Probablity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which game? Hold-em/Stud/Omaha/Draw? Low/mid/high stakes?
Old 09-03-2005, 12:38 AM

There is no good answer to this question. At micro/low limits you can with with "100%" probability and "0%" psychology.

Secondly a lot of poker skills are really just poker skills, they are not really one or the other. Raising to isolate is as much a psychological play to convince people to let you contest it heads up as it is a good move EV wise. It's not one or the other. Is raising with KJs in LP afrt several limpers a purely math play? No. It has positive expectation and shows a profit, but it's also psychological because weak players instinct is to check to the raiser and give you free cards over and over. What is the real difference here? Technically aren't all moves probability since the entire point is to gain in number?

This question is to simplified to give any meaningful response or allow you to draw any worthwhile conclusion.

I think I know what you are trying to ask. My response is this: At lower levels psychology isn't important at all. As your opponents become more skilled it becomes increasingly important. At the highest limits the game places more importance on psychology, but this is only because no one is making simple probability mistakes. It's not because they're ignoring probability, if they are the game will have a nice waiting list =).
Old 09-03-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the answer depends mostly on the level of the
competition. It can range from nearly all math, to
a huge amout of psychology.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:51 AM

Hi,

I just wanted to note that psychology becomes more important in shorthanded games.

Also, I think Alex/Mugaaz's post is the definitive response to this thread.