Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Anyone ever worked on a campaign?

I was wondering if anyone here has ever actively worked on a campaign at any level of government and what their experiences were. Last night I had dinner with a man running for the Florida state legislature and was thinking of jumping on board and helping with the campaign in any way I could.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:57 PM

Default Re: Anyone ever worked on a campaign?

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering if anyone here has ever actively worked on a campaign at any level of government and what their experiences were. Last night I had dinner with a man running for the Florida state legislature and was thinking of jumping on board and helping with the campaign in any way I could.

[/ QUOTE ]

I worked for Joe Kernan (D) for Governor last year in Indiana. In the most Republican county in the state, Hamilton County.

I just worked the phone banks. We called registered Dems, asked for their support (not $), tried to give them a yard sign, and see if they would be willing to volunteer time to the campaign, etc.

It was funny, because almost every person I called said, "I thought I was the only Democrat in Hamilton County"

Now we have the evil Mitch Daniels of Bush Cabinet infamy.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gentleman of the Politics forum, I fear the next Karl Rove has reared his head...... [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2005, 01:48 PM

McCain (80's), Reagan, several Gov's, MAyors, etc. It's a lot of BS -- talking to reporters, un-spinning opponents data while spinning your own -- finding audiences -- it's all about numbers and leveraging every advantage you can find. Rarely talking to voters or individual concerns. You will definitely learn a lot about the power of media. To be good, you have to leverage every contact you have -- and if the race is highly partisan, you will alienate some of them. When it's over, you may find yourself immersed in a group of "friends" who are somewhat one-dimensional. Winning is everything -- sometimes when it's over, and you watch the process, you really have to wonder if it made any difference. Spend a lot of time picking the horse you want to back, and if you really believe in them and believe they are honest -- and believe you can maintain contact with them -- go for it. I consider trusting McCain to be one of my biggest mistakes.
Old 09-01-2005, 01:53 PM

I've worked on a few campaigns over the years but the most memorable was when in University in Canada we put up a friend in a federal by-election against Jean Chretien. We wanted to run independently protesting Chretien's parachute status but were lured on to the Rhino ticket. What a laugh. We ended up getting tonnes of press coverage and I learned more from that couple of weeks than I did during my whole 4 years as a Political Science major.

Our 0.7% of the vote was well worth it. We should have known our candidate had little hope since the year before he ran for student President and ended up fourth behind a dog that someone had nominated. Even better was that after the vote Elections Canada gave us a read out of where our votes came from in the riding. We lived in a small town and there were about 8 of us living in a shared house. When our candidate looked at the read out he realized that he didn't even get 50% of the votes in our house turned campaign headquarters since there were only 4 votes for him on the entire street. Great times.

But in more serious campaigns it is just a larger version of the same thing in my experience.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:27 PM

It is very hard work, sometimes tedious but very very rewarding.

Also are you thinking of being paid staff or volunteering or interning because they are all doing very different things?
Old 09-01-2005, 02:31 PM

How exactly were you invloved. Also this is a State legislature race and its basically a grassroots campaign and not as much media and things like that, allthough those are things we are striving for.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I learned more from that couple of weeks than I did during my whole 4 years as a Political Science major.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this from a lot of people, while I'm a business major it still sounds like great experience to work on a campaign.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:34 PM

It's more volunteering/interning non paid stuff which I didn't expect to be paid anyways since as all you know I'm pretty die hard republican. He's also doing a lot of stuff through our college republican club as well that is how I met him initially.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I learned more from that couple of weeks than I did during my whole 4 years as a Political Science major.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this from a lot of people, while I'm a business major it still sounds like great experience to work on a campaign.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hamish's comments are very very true.