Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Why do the \"pro\'s\" never admit that poker has alot of luck in it?

I was watching a tourney and this guy had I believe JJ and Phil Ivey went all in with A8. Ivey flopped a set of 8s and at the end of the tourney the other guy said, "Phil just outplayed me". Why don't they ever say that he got lucky? Also on ESPN Jeff Lisandro was down to the river and needed a J or Q to stay alive and got a Q. At the end of the tourney they all say how he played unbelievable. No one would ever bring up that he would have been out if he didn't catch a lucky river.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Why do the \"pro\'s\" never admit that poker has alot of luck in it?

Phil and Jeff have snipers posted in the rooftops.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Why do the \"pro\'s\" never admit that poker has alot of luck in it?

When they said they got outplayed, they were probably referring to the entire final table, not the one hand that busted them.

Another reason could be that they never thought they were going to win in the first place because they were intimidated by playing with Ivey. Their negative attitudes and belief that they would lose caused them to make mistakes.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:33 PM

you're just seeing snapshots of the tournament. ivey got lucky on that hand - but he severely outplayed everyone on the hands that you didn't see.

that's what the guy was saying.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're just seeing snapshots of the tournament. ivey got lucky on that hand - but he severely outplayed everyone on the hands that you didn't see.

that's what the guy was saying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know.. I understand what you're saying. Im not one of those poeple thats coming in saying poker is all luck
Old 08-21-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why don't they ever say that he got lucky?

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you talking about?
Some say this all the time. Ever heard of Phil Hellmuth?

The ones who don't say "he's so lucky" probably just have an understanding that "That's poker" and "that's the way it goes sometimes."

Also - almost every player who made it that far got lucky along the way. So to call someone ELSE a luck-box for drawing-out on them is kind of hypocritical if they recall the 1 or 2 others that THEY sucked-out against in the first place.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:32 PM

Also, saying "he got lucky" is another way of saying "he has no skill." If a pro blamed all of his losses on luck, he'd come out sounding like Phil Hellmuth.

As for the title of the thread, pros DO admit that there's a lot of luck in poker. It's common when the cameras catch the big names getting busted out early.
Old 08-21-2005, 03:49 PM

i heard Lederer talk about short term luck many times.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:41 PM

Some do.. Dan Harrington said that to win a tournament, you're going to have to catch that miracle card on the turn or the river.. just a part of the game.
Old 08-21-2005, 05:01 PM

I think Matusow derived a jingle based on poker luck at this year's WSOP. I went something like:

"Poker, Poker
It's all skill.
Start with the worst hand
and work uphill."