Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 10:22 AM

Default Do you like to call, small raise, or big raise AA and KK from EP?

I know every situation is different with tight tables, loose tables, but I'm talking about in general in a MTT. This is one of my favorite situations. I love calling it and I'd say 75% of the time there will be a raise behind you and then you can re-raise. Some people don't like to chance the call though.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:27 AM

Default Re: Do you like to call, small raise, or big raise AA and KK from EP?

I tend to be a bit of a LAG, so I make my standard raise most times.

I admit, though, that folks that limp-call with those hands tend to take a lot of chips from me.

Maybe I should try the limp-reraise approach more.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:41 AM

I think its worth it. Once every few times you'll have the whole table check and they you're actually an underdog to the whole table but its worth the risk of taking down someones whole stack if they have QQ or KK.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:44 AM

It depends on how the table is playing. If a raise behind you is likely, a limpraise is often good. If you are likely to get callers for a raise, then you could also go ahead and make a decent sized raise.

The limpraise with deep money has a disadvantage in that good players are likely to read you for what you have and fold or play for a set knowing they can get all the money in if they hit.

Later in the tournament, if people will be afraid of an UTG raise, then limp. If they will be afraid of an UTG limp, then raise.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think its worth it. Once every few times you'll have the whole table check and they you're actually an underdog to the whole table but its worth the risk of taking down someones whole stack if they have QQ or KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get , thats like trying to slow play quads on a A88A board with alot of action. You are goin to get someone with an Ace to call you, other than that its just slow rolling.

You have to have a better reason to limp here than looking to bust a guy with KK or QQ.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get , thats like trying to slow play quads on a A88A board with alot of action. You are goin to get someone with an Ace to call you, other than that its just slow rolling.

You have to have a better reason to limp here than looking to bust a guy with KK or QQ.

[/ QUOTE ]

No im saying thats the best possible scenario that may happen once in awhile. But in general its nice when someone behind you raises w/ anything decent and you can just re-raise and single him. I mix it with about 70% checks and 30% raises from EP.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but its worth the risk of taking down someones whole stack if they have QQ or KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone has QQ or KK and you raise, they will probably reraise, and you put in a 3rd raise. That is a better situation than putting in a 2nd raise with a limpraise. Someone might be able to fold QQ if the money is real deep, but you should get all teh money in with those hands whatever you do. A limpraise might possibly scare away QQ.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but its worth the risk of taking down someones whole stack if they have QQ or KK.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone's got QQ or KK, I seriously doubt they're going to fold to a standard raise.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone's got QQ or KK, I seriously doubt they're going to fold to a standard raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:25 AM

Hate to point it out, but your getting all of your opponents money with AA vs. KK or QQ regardless of whether or not you limp re-raise or standard raise.

How you play AA & KK in EP obviously relies on a number of factors, some table dependant and certainly image dependant. Other factors include blinds vs. stack ratio, what stage of the tournament your in and other factors.

Peace

Goodie