Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 01:18 AM

Default value bet 7th?

doh. just typed this up and didnt post it.

read on villain is he's somewhat laggy from 4th-7th, but usually does start with some decent hands. he's also playing underfunded with only $30 at 2/4. do i value bet on 7th after he checks to me or do i have something else to fear? i figured he had at least made a low and all i'd be doing is risking another bet in an effort that gains nothing if he did make his low.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.88 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls___calls
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in___folds

4th Street - (4.38 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets

5th Street - (3.69 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___raises

6th Street - (7.69 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___raises

River - (11.69 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] xx___checks
Hero: T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks

Total pot: (11.69 BB)
Old 07-02-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: value bet 7th?

fold 3rd
fold 5th
fold 6th
check river and hope for a cheap showdown
Old 07-02-2005, 02:16 AM

Get Ray Zee's book. Don't take another hand until you have read it.

Third street is a crystal-clear fold. If you routinely play split Tens in this game, you have no hope of being a consistent winner.

Fourth is probably worth a bet, but I don't know, since I can't remember the last time I faced this kind of a situation.

I would be hesitant about even calling on fifth, let alone raising. Same goes for sixth except more so, as his low could have come in. If he has any inclination to check-raise at all, I don't think that value betting the river is a good idea. I would be thankful just to escape on this hand.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:26 AM

alright. i'll order it right now from amazon. anything else i should pick up in the stud area?
Old 07-02-2005, 02:29 AM

Get 7 card stud for advanced players
It's a stud high book and you'll still need it. The highlow book presumes you already know the stuff in 7csfap

ps. reading this thread is very +EV
Old 07-02-2005, 02:33 AM

I probably muck this hand on third to tell you the truth, Tens in a multiway pot isn't a very strong hand here by any means. You can wait for better chances. Anyway though since you did decide to complete it I think you played it a little too strong on the later streets. The fifth street raise is alright I guess to see where you're at, but he has a pretty scary board with a three flush, two to a low, and an ace. Sixth street though I think raising is awful here. My reason for this is that you are very likely to be only drawing to half the pot here. He could also be free rolling to take your high half as well. If he has Aces than he has tons of outs to take the high half, not to mention he could have a four flush which gives him some outs, or a small pair which has decent outs as well. His play on the river is intrguing. I almost want to bet this here because it seems like he missed everything but I don't know what he could be starting with that he would have missed but who knows. I would probably just check behind and be thankful for the free showdown and hope you took down your half.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:42 AM

thansk for the help guys. still new to stud, but i'm doing pretty good at it for now. ill lay off and play a lot tighter on 3rd til i get the books and can develop my play more. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-02-2005, 02:58 AM

No problem. We're here to help