Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2005, 12:13 AM

Default Gatti - Mayweather

Discuss.

Personally, i am so pumped for this. More than for any fight in recent memory.

I really cant see Arturo pulling it off, but he will for sure give us a great time watching him try.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: Gatti - Mayweather

I don't follow it, but all the sharpies I know think that Mayweather is a strong, strong play.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:33 AM

I suspect that Gatti gets destroyed. He can't handle anyone with a bit of hand speed, and Floyd is the fastest around right now.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:38 AM

I will be watching this one. Like most, I love Mayweather here. Even at 5:1 it is a good play. I liken this matchup to Gatti - DelaHoya, though Gatti has improved since that fight. But like Oscar, Floyd will be too fast. The only real intrigue here is how much punishment Gatti takes and if he can go 12 rounds.

I think he will go the distance. Mayweather is moving up in weight and Gatti has a great chin and tons of heart. I think it gets stopped only if Gatti is bleeding too much. Should be entertaining though.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I liken this matchup to Gatti - DelaHoya

[/ QUOTE ]

precisely. I love the guy to death for all the great fights he's given us, but...lets face it, he gets hit ALOT by tomato cans. WHen he takes on the best, its just a massacre. So far. DLH destroyed him, and i have to put pretty boy at DLH's level or above.

The only saving grace, as i see it, is that mayweather's punching power is not exactly devestating. I think it will go all 12 rounds. Arturo may hit the canvas a few times, but i dont think he will be there for 10 seconds. Saving corner tossing on towel, i think it goes to the cards, where pretty boy wins 10 rounds to 2.

I dont anticipate a close fight. I DO acticipate a very entertaining fight.

These guys HATE each other. And Arturo has heart to spare. He will take 10 bombs to land one.

If i can get Xmas in June, i just watn to see PBF on his azz once.
Old 06-21-2005, 11:18 AM

while i don't think gatti will win either - i think this fight will be closer than everyone else here.

mayweather WILL get a bit spooked when he finds out that gatti just won't go down. i think this fight goes the distance - with an outside shot at a split decision even - but floyd will win.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:58 PM

Gatti-DLH has little or no relevance to this fight. DLH was a completely different kind of fighter than PBF, and won by pressuring and overpowering Gatti since he was the bigger man (the fight was also at 147). DLH took shots and gave them back. Floyd won't be looking to take shots. Also, Gatti was basically a mess at that point, and the fight was given to him as a "thank you" payday.

The dynamic of this fight will be completely different. Floyd is not going to overpower Gatti. Gatti is naturally bigger and will come into the fight at 155-160 while Floyd will be 145. The questions are whether Gatti will be able to land on Floyd and whether Gatti will cut. Floyd is going to land on Gatti a lot. Gatti can take those punches all day, unless they force a stoppage on cuts/swelling. Gatti may never land a clean shot on Floyd. If he does, Floyd is not going to like it (he did get rocked by Chop-Chop). If he survives, he will move backwards and counter for the rest of the fight, hoping to win a boring decision. To win a decision moving backwards in Atlantic City, he is going to have to be clearly dominant, but he is usually clearly dominant. Gatti needs to use every trick in the book, clean and dirty, to have his best chance. The thing he has going for him is that he's not going to stop punching just because he's not landing and is getting hit (Trinidad). He's going to throw 75-80 punches a round and take 40 to the head unless the doctor won't let it go on. If he gets Floyd hurt, he is a great finisher. It is somewhat unlikely Floyd will give him many chances though. I'm going and hoping for the upset. Anyone else?
Old 06-21-2005, 01:06 PM

you put into better words what i was trying to say...

i'm rooting for arturo for sure, and i think he'll give pbf a fight - i just don't know if he can pull it off.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:18 PM

Looking forward to this one.
Old 06-24-2005, 03:33 PM

tomorrow night - and mayweather has been unrelentless this week in knocking gatti - man i hope this is a good fight.