Default Re: Fat Tire

[ QUOTE ]
is the best microbrew.

discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not really a microbrew anymore.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:16 AM

I don't concur. There are so many microbrews better to my taste that its irrelevant to list them.

Fat Tire is new to my area so I bought one the other day. It has a "clean" malt profile and a refreshing mouthfeel.

However, without any hop profile at all, it is really a one-dimensional beer which only showcases the malt. There is no hop aroma or bitterness.

Futhermore, for a brewery which brews several belgian styles, Fat Tire doesn't showcase any fruity flavors that would come from the yeast.

Because of this, I poured the rest of my glass down the drain and poured myself an IPA.

If people are choosing this instead of Miller Lite or some such, then its a very good choice. The beer has a malt flavor and no corn or rice like the mainstream beers have. There are no preservatives, etc. The more a brewery like NBBC gets exposed, the better it is for those of us who like craft beer.

I have heard great things about this brewery's other beers, but haven't tried any yet.

For a real hop-bomb from a Colorado brewery, try the Avery Maharaja (very limited availability). Or for a really refreshing summer quencher from a Colorado brewery, try the Avery White Rascal. Both are delicious in different ways. Neither of these is the "best micro" in my book, but worthy suggestions from my recent tastings.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:22 AM

I don't know much (anything?) about beer, but the only beer whose taste I actually liked was a beer called Blue Moon.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:25 AM

Blue Moon is made by Coors. If I had it, it was quite some time ago, but generally speaking the only decent beer Coors brews is Coors Extra Gold (straight from the factory).

Personally, I'm trying to stay away from their stuff since I hate the fuckstick running the place ;-)
Old 06-18-2005, 04:33 AM

I didn't know that, and for a second I was like EGAD, but now that I think about it, i'll probably still try to get it when I go out for beer.

Anyway, all these IPAs that I try whether microbrew or not (some IPAs I've tried recently are from Paper City Brewary and some Flying Dog place or something) taste like wood to me. I've always told people they are "oaky" or something. I don't know, they just taste too strong and unappealing, but my roommate and one of his good friends are all about them, so I have no idea.

I drink liquor more anyway, but still, I'd like to be knowledgable.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:24 AM

Fat Tire is a nice little beer, but it is actually near the bottom of the beers made by New Belgium. (tied for my favorite brewery with mcmenamins and bridgeport, both in portland)

Sunshine wheat beer is the best hef of all time. Words cannot describe.

Loft is a very good summer blonde (a la Pyramid curveball), blue paddle is in the solid good range for a pilsner lager. It's been a long time sinc ei've had the others but only because i can't find them anywhere.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Because of this, I poured the rest of my glass down the drain and poured myself an IPA.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, pouring a decent beer down the drain is idiotic?
Old 06-18-2005, 06:53 AM

Abbey, Transatlantique Kriek, and Trippel by them are better, but Fat Tire is a pretty good beer. Thread rating: 4 stars.

Edit: Did you know that Coors Extra Gold is regular Coors mixed with Killian's Red (which ain't too bad itself being from a macrobrewer)?
Old 06-18-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fat Tire is a nice little beer, but it is actually near the bottom of the beers made by New Belgium. (tied for my favorite brewery with mcmenamins and bridgeport, both in portland)

Sunshine wheat beer is the best hef of all time. Words cannot describe.

Loft is a very good summer blonde (a la Pyramid curveball), blue paddle is in the solid good range for a pilsner lager. It's been a long time sinc ei've had the others but only because i can't find them anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mcmenamins Ruby is my personal favorite... sitting in the upstairs of the Six Arms w/ a french dip & a ruby is hard to beat.

Freakin