Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 04:35 AM

Default nice approval ratings, Mr. President....LOL

from MSNBC's Altercation...

This just in: The new ABC News/Washington Post poll, here, shows 52 percent of Americans disapprove of the job President Bush is doing overall, reports ABC News' Polling director Gary Langer — the most in more than 75 ABC/Post polls since his presidency began. His approval rating is 48 percent.

Bush's Iraq approval ratings haven't fared much better: 41 percent said they approve of the job the President is doing in Iraq, while 58 percent disapprove — matching his career-high Iraq disapproval mark.

George W. Bush’s approval rating is now a full twenty points lower than Bill Clinton’s was on the day he was impeached.

Dear media, that means you gotta stop referring to him as a “popular president,” and no less important, stop treating him like one. If you want to be wimps about everything, fine, just don’t blame it on his ‘popularity.’ Blame it on yourselves.

---------------
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

RB
Old 06-08-2005, 10:25 AM

Default Re: nice approval ratings, Mr. President....LOL

I know, he might not get re-elected. He better watch out!
Old 06-08-2005, 05:30 PM

Whiskeytown the thing that warrants and LOL is your belief that after winning his second term as President and captaining one of the greatest Republican eras of modern time that this what you are left with to get excited about. Congrats.

Meanwhile I think The President and the Republican Party will continue to govern.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:31 PM

How the hell does Iraq have a 58% against when 75% of Iraqis support the Iraqi government and 65% think that the Iraq's going in the right direction? (NYT, I believe)

Absolutely insane.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
one of the greatest Republican eras of modern time that t

[/ QUOTE ]

It would seem that the negative ratings would indicate that people think the Right is blowing the greatest Republican era.

[ QUOTE ]
Meanwhile I think The President and the Republican Party will continue to govern.

[/ QUOTE ]

The question is how will the Republicans do in the near future...
Old 06-08-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How the hell does Iraq have a 58% against when 75% of Iraqis support the Iraqi government and 65% think that the Iraq's going in the right direction? (NYT, I believe)

Absolutely insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

They probably didn't poll Iraqis [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-08-2005, 10:30 PM

Because the question isn't, "what do the Iraqis think." Since when do we care what other countries think about our policies?

The war isn't about "are the iraqies" happy; this war was about WOMD that didn't exist,... this war was going to be easy in- Iraqis throw us parades and we exit gracefully a short while later.... this war was going to pay for itself... this war was about Good versus Evil, and so why are the Good Guys redefining International law so they can torture prisoners? Why are there photos of prisoners being sexually humiliated by Americans? Do we care if we piss on their Holy Books? Do we care about torture? Why are more people being killed everyday in Iraq? Another Soldier blown up? Why are they having trouble recruiting people for this noble cause? What? The National Guard are all over there and being forced to stay longer then their terms?

But Hey, more then half the Iraqis think their country is going in the right direction. One would have to be insane to not approve of this war! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2005, 05:29 PM

I think you overlook the fact that Presidential approval is often based on world events.

Jimmy Carter soared in popularity when our Embassy Employees were taken hostage.

I'd rather have Bush at his base level of popularity than have it swelled because of some attack on the US. In the long run, preventing those attacks reflects better on W than the current poll snapshot.

I would think you would have understood this. He will go up and down, but he never goes very far below 50%, which shows that plenty of Americans recognize what a good President we have. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2005, 07:46 PM

One would have to be insane not to approve of staying in this war when those two key indicators are high enough. Given those numbers, do you really think pulling out is a good thing? Having a democracy in the Middle East friendly to the US, and also a government that is willing to help would be very important.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given those numbers, do you really think pulling out is a good thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

First... I'm not suggesting we just pull out. But that doesn't mean I approve of the war. We should have never gone in.

But... we can't simply leave the country now. We will staying and cleaning up George's mess and having our soldiers killed for years to come.

[ QUOTE ]
One would have to be insane not to approve of staying in this war when those two key indicators are high enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said... American's could care less what the Iraqis think. This war has never had anything to do with the Iraqis. To pretend otherwise is disingenuous.

[ QUOTE ]
Having a democracy in the Middle East friendly to the US, and also a government that is willing to help would be very important.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why assume the govt. will be friendly to the US? They may elect to have a religious theocracy that is at odds with our interests.

But we're really getting off the point of this thread. Its not to hard to imagine why people don't approve of the war. They were misled about why we needed to go there. They were misled about how it would be run. They were misled about how we would be received. They were misled about how much it would cost. They were misled about when it would be over. They never realized Bush would champion the cause of torturing prisoners. etc.