Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2005, 10:41 AM

Default AAIGH!!!! Taking a (small) break.

I know I'm not the only one going through a rough patch right now, but after nearly 20 consecutive finishes OOTM, I've had it.

Yesterday after another massacre, I went through hand histories, and found a disturbing pattern. My losing streak started with an unusual run of bad beats:

AA vs TT (twice)
KK vs KQ (twice)
and then five or six bubble hands in which I had the villain dominated, and he hit is three outer.

Now I know this is simply variance - AA going down to an underpair is not exactly the same as the villain hitting a runner-runner straight flush to beat your nut flush. (That happened too, but in a MTT. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

But these beats lead to horrific play on my part as I grew more and more desperate to break out of my slump:

Five-handed, Hero has AQs in the CO, raises 3BB. Button calls, as does BB. Flop comes Jack-high. BB checks, Hero checks, Button pushes, Hero calls. (WTF was I doing? Yes the button was an idiot calling the original raise with JTo, but WTF was I doing?)

Five handed, even stacked, Hero is desperate to make the money, so he pushes UTG with K7o. WTF?

End of rant.

See y'all Friday,

Sam
Old 05-16-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: AAIGH!!!! Taking a (small) break.

[ QUOTE ]
I know I'm not the only one going through a rough patch right now, but after nearly 20 consecutive finishes OOTM, I've had it.

Yesterday after another massacre, I went through hand histories, and found a disturbing pattern. My losing streak started with an unusual run of bad beats:

AA vs TT (twice)
KK vs KQ (twice)
and then five or six bubble hands in which I had the villain dominated, and he hit is three outer.

Now I know this is simply variance - AA going down to an underpair is not exactly the same as the villain hitting a runner-runner straight flush to beat your nut flush. (That happened too, but in a MTT. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

[/ QUOTE ]

This crap led to me taking a week off last year. I came back feeling refreshed and not tilted.

[ QUOTE ]

But these beats lead to horrific play on my part as I grew more and more desperate to break out of my slump:

Five-handed, Hero has AQs in the CO, raises 3BB. Button calls, as does BB. Flop comes Jack-high. BB checks, Hero checks, Button pushes, Hero calls. (WTF was I doing? Yes the button was an idiot calling the original raise with JTo, but WTF was I doing?)

[/ QUOTE ]

What were the stack sizes (push preflop?)? You can't call that push on the flop unless you had a flush draw.

[ QUOTE ]

Five handed, even stacked, Hero is desperate to make the money, so he pushes UTG with K7o. WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad.

[ QUOTE ]
See y'all Friday,

Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Good idea. Don't even think about Poker until at the earliest Thursday.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:37 PM

I too have been going through rough times online lately. I have also decided to take a small break from poker since I noticed myself starting to tilt last night.
Old 05-16-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it be wise to review my game during a "break" from poker? Or to even continue posting/reading 2+2?
Old 05-16-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Would it be wise to review my game during a "break" from poker? Or to even continue posting/reading 2+2?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would take at least 2-3 days totally off, then 1 day rereading HoH and/or ToP and/or 2+2 forums before coming back. But that's what worked for me, something else may work better for you.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:59 AM

I'm in the same boat

50 $50+5: I have caught Daliman's losing streak (-60% ROI)