Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2005, 11:24 PM

Default 99, the other side of check, call, check, call, bet

Anyone no likie?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: BigEndian is MP1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BigEndian raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BigEndian bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.20 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BigEndian bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (5.20 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, BigEndian folds.

Final Pot: 6.20 BB

- Jim
Old 04-14-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Re: 99, the other side of check, call, check, call, bet

Why not checking behind on the turn and calling the river? You lose the same amount when you're behind but at least you have a shot at winning if he's bluffing with KQo or QT etc...
Old 04-15-2005, 12:09 AM

I like it.

I like the turn bet because players will frequently call the flop bet with very little. If he has something like KQ, QT, or two clubs, I don't want to give free cards. If he calls the turn bet, I'll check behind on the river unless it's a 9.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:10 AM

read?
Old 04-15-2005, 12:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
read?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, correct play here could certainly change with a read on the player. If he's very aggressive, then you should check behind on the turn b/c he'd CR here with a flush draw, or maybe even as a straight bluff, and then you'd have to make a bad fold. Also, if he's aggressive he'd probably autobet the river after you check the turn, so it makes the river call really easy.

If he's passive then you have to bet turn, esp if he's tight and has potential to fold a J.

Also, some players will make this river bet with just a missed draw, or very weak hand, so you might have to call this vs. some.

This play is likely correct against an unknown (maybe call river though), but having any type of reads, or stats on the player could easily change the way to play it.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:05 AM

See Piiop's response. Unless I know this player to be tight and reasonable, I need to follow through with a turn bet. Very often a player will call the flop to see if you bet the turn - even with an ace on the board.

- Jim
Old 04-15-2005, 08:09 AM

I agree, a read would make things easier for us. But without one, I think you have to consider the line the opponent took along with what an average player might do and figure that in with the 6-1 I'm getting on the end.

To me this was a fold, but I was curious if this meant something else to other players.

- Jim
Old 04-15-2005, 08:54 AM

Good Fold. I also don't like the suggestion to check the turn. The majority of the time they are either just peeling for a miracle, calling down with 77,4x etc., you even get TT to fold to a turn bet. Now if this was a cold-caller a check becomes closer, but even then firing away HU takes it 50% of the time. If not I C/fold the river.

Curious what your river plan was if BB did not bet out.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:24 AM

The fold looks good. What struck me is that the flop is relatively drawless, unless the BB had KQ/QT, and even then he might have folded the A-high flop (or may have 3-bet preflop HU w/KQ.). And would the BB be continuing after the flop with a hand like 55?

Consequently, with the pot relatively small on the river, does anyone think that the BB has worse than 99 at least 17% of the time?
Old 04-15-2005, 09:44 AM

I think it's a clear check through on the river. I don't think if I'm called on the end I'm ahead 50% of the time.

- Jim