Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2005, 05:42 AM

Default Top set on 3-flush board, too aggro?

When Villain 3-bet the flop, I figured that he had 2 pair, a set, whatever, so I went into call down mode, but when I hit my Q on the turn, I'm worried that I might have gotten a little crazy.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.25 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (16.25 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.25 BB
Old 04-26-2005, 06:18 AM

Default Re: Top set on 3-flush board, too aggro?

Well either he hit a flush ot he didn't. He could also have played a lower set this strongly. Actually his flop 3-bet points more in the direction of a set than a flushdraw (BB and UTG+1 have folded when he 3-bets).

Consequently I agree with your turn cap. When he in spite of that leads the river when the 4th diamond falls.....well I don't know. Guess I would have made the call in this big pot.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:33 AM

Just call on the turn. There's a good chance (though not definite) that your behind. Some players will 3 bet the flop against one opponent with only a flush draw.
Of course you have to call on the river.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:42 AM

call the 3 bet on the turn.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. While I would guess (and hope for) a smaller set because of PF action, I would rather call down from here on.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:51 AM

I'd cap the flop, call the turn 3-bet (assuming MP1 leads again), and call the river.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:04 AM

I think I would have done the same, except I'd have just called the 3-bet on the turn.

Are there any hands for which all the villain's plays are correct? The only ones I could think of were 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]). Pumping up a nut flush draw HU on the flop would be a mistake, right?
Old 04-26-2005, 09:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are there any hands for which all the villain's plays are correct? The only ones I could think of were 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] or 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]). Pumping up a nut flush draw HU on the flop would be a mistake, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had top set on this flop I pump the pot until my arms fall off, regardless of the suit of my hole cards.

Raising a flush draw HU is correct when you have other draws (like a OESD or overcards). I would be worried if my opponent kept pumping, though (mainly with overcards, as they may not be good.)

-K
Old 04-26-2005, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. While I would guess (and hope for) a smaller set because of PF action, I would rather call down from here on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with everyone who says not to cap the turn. There are more likely hands Villain could be playing this way before a flush draw. Villain only needs to not have the flush like 30% of the time in order for this to be a profitable cap.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:45 AM

I Like it.