Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Other Gambling Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Horse Racing HELP!!

is there any site with a list of horses, with some stats available because I,m new to this and right now i'm betting in the dark! I watch the races on the website of espn and I wait until a guy shows his picks before making any move... 3 minutes before the race...
Old 04-08-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Horse Racing HELP!!

past performances generally aren't free to view except for some major stakes races on the weekends. the companies that stockpile this information have the leverage to charge for their service.

if you bet live at the track or at OTB you can sometimes get a free or $1-2 program with some basic stats, or get the Daily Racing Form newspaper for $5. Your local tabloid newspaper (i.e. Daily News or the Post here in NYC) may have some inexpensive analysis from the sports section columnists should you choose to follow them.

online you can buy PP's on a subscription or a la carte basis from drf.com, though I personally prefer the rates and layout on brisnet.com. the racetrack's own web site often has a house handicapper who gives free analysis about 24 hours in advance of post time.

have fun watching the races, just remember it's almost impossible to make a profit in the long run vs. the house vig.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:06 PM

You have to have the Daily Racing Form if you hope to have any clue what to do, otherwise you are playing lotto.

You can to get it online.

http://www.drf.com/
Old 04-09-2005, 03:36 AM

Give up the ponies before you end in GA. I don't know anyone who can beat that game. I figured out how to beat the average low limit ring game in a few days, horse racing couldn't be solved for years. So you figure out if it's beatable....... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 04-09-2005, 04:11 AM

I'm going to keeneland tomorrow and am looking for the least negative EV betting "system" or information on the horses. I've tried getting the 5 dollar trial membership for DRF but it timed out and I can't get it. Does anyone have any newbie horse betting tips? I'm not looking for long term wins. I'm looking to just be lucky, but also - I want to be informed as possible.
Old 04-09-2005, 05:33 AM

Haha I just realized my previous post looks like complete jibberish. What I meant to say is, you experienced handicappers...what suggestions would you have for someone who was definately going to keeneland and definately going to gamble, but has no prior knowledge of horse racing beyond anything I've been able to find online (very little)?

I don't mind taking a few risks, right now my plan is to find people at the track who look pretty experienced, and strike up a conversation to see if I can get some real information (not "bet on the grey horses") and piece whatever I can together based on the program.

Ideally I want to find someone who will tell me stuff like "Stat x means that this horse is basically out of contention for placing in anything, so betting on it is pretty much a sucker bet". Will people at the track who make a big profit like this give this kind of information out? or is it more like secret stuff? Should I sit out on the betting for the first few races, then look at the horses stats and try to figure it out for myself and just see how I do?

I don't have any misconceptions that I'm going to go and just magically show i gigantic profit, I just want to give myself the best chance to just hit a big score and make all my friends who are with me think I'm awesome, if it happens. If I have a 1 in 200 chance of turning my $300 bankroll into 3,000...I don't see why opening day can't be that 1 time.

Any help is appreciated - sorry for hijacking this thread but I really haven't seen any other horse racing information on any of the forums.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:29 AM

you can use the handicapper's corner on the keeneland site:
http://keeneland.com/liveracing/

also buy your local newspaper and see if they have any horse coverage in the sports section (Kentucky I bet that they do!).

for online PP's I prefer brisnet over DRF. you can get full day race cards for $1 each, and no subscription is required. I also like to buy the "Profitline" sheet for quick picks but for $5 that might be too expensive if you don't know how to utilize it optimally.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:51 AM

Beating horse racing is tough, Im a loser on the long run personally. My biggest wins have happened when Im in the rich ppl section ( I have a friend whos family owns very good horses)ppl seem to know much more there, they really know how the horse is feeling.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:34 PM

Get the form at the track.

Look for races where most of the horses have a history at that track, ship ins from other tracks are hard to judge if you don't know the tracks.

You want to how the horses did at similar distances, track conditions, claiming prices or stakes purses.

Winning trainers and winning jockey's are good combo's

Horses moving down in claiming prices or coming from stakes races to claiming races should be given some extra consideration.

Try to avoid odds-on favorites, they usually are a little over-rated.

Also, aviod combo bets like exactas and daily doubles, I believe more money gets taken out of the prize pool.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:00 PM

ty all for your reply.... as I live in Montreal, I don,t have any info on Penn State or Charlestown in the newspaper... we have something here but it sucks... jockeys are in a bogey it's slow as hell...