Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2002, 06:10 PM

Default what is a kill game?

sorry for the dumb question but what is it?

thanks
billyb
Old 10-17-2002, 07:23 PM

Default Re: what is a kill game?

Not a dumb question at all, but a frequently-asked question. There should be an FAQ section on this site for such questions.

A "kill" is a blind raise. Some games incorporate a kill into their structure. In some games, a player who scoops a pot of a certain size must post a kill. In other games a player who wins two pots in a row (which I think might have to be of some minimum size) has to post a kill. In any event, the killer must post a blind bet, sort of a third blind in flop games (where kills are most common), and the stakes increase for the next hand. If he is one of the blinds for the next hand, he only has to post the amount of the kill. In a full kill game, the stakes double for the next round. In a half-kill game, the stakes increase by 50%. I think that there are other games where a $6/12 goes to $10 for a kill pot. I don't think that they call that a 2/3-kill game, though. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hopefully, an example will make this clear. My local room spreads a $10/20 Omaha/8 game with a half-kill. If a player scoops a pot of $100 or more, he posts a $15 blind and the next hand is played $15/30. He acts in turn, and has the option to raise. Players who act between the big blind and the killer can call $15, raise to $30, or muck.

I find it curious that you asked this on the stud forum, since it's most common in flop games. I have heard of stud/8 games using a kill.