Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2004, 11:11 AM

Default I would like some opionions about re-building my BR

Ok, well if you read my last thread you remember how I spent a few months building up my online BR from 100 to aprox 750 playing strictly .5/1 then a little 1/2, then proceeded to lose close to $500 in about an hour when I went on tilt and took $450 to a 10/20 table—yes—some crazy ass tilt.

Anyways I would like some opinions on what I should do next—First let me explain my situation-- I’m going to share my financial situation because I don’t mind and it probably has a big impact on what I should do. I am a college student at Auburn University. Right now I’m not actually taking classes—I have an internship with a company. The internship ends at the end of December, where next semester I will go back to school full time. My internship pays me aprox. $350 a week after taxes. I currently have $2900 in the bank and that is all the $ I have in the world haha. I live in a trailer my dad owns so I have no rent to pay (before you make fun of me with trailer trash names, ect. please keep in mind about 15% of students that attend Auburn live in trailers—that equals out to about 3000 college kids). I pay for my food, gas, car insurance, utilities, and anything I decided to do. Basically my tuition, books, and rent are taken care of.

Here was my plan-- To multi table( 2 or 3) 1 / 2 or 2 / 4 next semester to cover what living expenses I had. I was going to make myself out a work schedule and treat poker like I would a normal job. I was also going to ref a few intramural games a week which would give me about $30 a week extra income which might help make a difference as far as my stress level goes. I was going to schedule aprox. 25 hrs a week to play poker. This would allow me more than enough $ to cover all my expenses. I was planning on having about $1200 online when I began next semester. Obviously now this isn’t the case.

So what should my next plan of action be? I know I need to figure out what is best for myself but I would just like yalls opinion. I cashed out $200 in check form being mailed to my place and just have $100 in my online acct. right now. I don’t really have that much time to play because of being away from home about 10-½ hrs a day (45min drive each way), and having a GF. This doesn’t leave a whole lot of time to play poker except for the weekends, or when I finally get some time to myself on a week day night (rarely—maybe once during the work week) Here is how I see my options.

1. Go ahead and deposit back up to $600. You should have enough time to get your BR back to where it needs to be before next semester. You have $2900 in the bank so you can afford to. Even after doing this you still will have close to $4000(my goal by the way) in your bank account by the end of your internship in late December. Just don’t do something stupid like play 10/20 anymore!! Come up with a system to make yourself stop playing when u feel your not playing at your best.

2. Tough luck—just earn it back slowly like you did before. You know you can do it—it will just take a while playing .5/1. No need to dip into your bank account. Control your tilt man and you will be fine. Get a normal job for next semester and just play poker on the side when u find time. Maybe the semester after next you will be up enough to try out your semi-pro college kid poker dream.

3. Other thoughts / suggestions.

I know you cant tell me exactly what I need to do, and I have to figure it out for myself but what do you think??
Old 12-01-2004, 11:17 AM

Default Re: I would like some opionions about re-building my BR

I'd recommend grinding it back out rather than depositing a larger amount. Depositing more money at this point may be chasing losses. You turned 100 into 750--no small feat, so go ahead and do it again.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:35 AM

how much bonus whoring potential do you have?

if you haven't already, read Homer's page
Old 12-01-2004, 12:35 PM

please don't take this the wrong way, but you clearly have the technical ability to play good poker, but do you have the emotional maturity/fortitude. Losing a lot of money when you need it, is very bad for your mental well being, set yourself a rule, you will NEVER play in a game that represents more than 10 percent of your bankroll.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:01 PM

It sounds to me like you have learned a bit from your bankroll mistakes in the past, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on that. If you haven't learned, none of this matters anyway....

My thought is this: It seems like you have proven (at least to yourself) that you can play and be successful at the 1/2 or 2/4 level. In my opinion, you need to figure out a way to play at those levels. To do that, you need a very comfortable bankroll - let's say $1,000. That means you are $900 away.

I don't think that it is a good idea to take $900 from your checking account, as that money is your insurance policy against a total loss of your bankroll. I would encourage you to keep that money separate.

Therefore, I think you need to figure out a way to earn that $900 outside of poker. Be creative. It's the holiday season, and I'm sure there are plenty of ways that you could get it done between now and the end of the year. Right now, building a bankroll outside of poker is a lot more efficient than playing .5/1, even if you're killing the game.

I think some hard labor after-hours and on the weekends will get you where you need to go.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:14 PM

while it may be more efficient to re-build your BR externally w/a PT job or otherwise, you will still need to keep your skills fresh, and mix up your PT job w/some online play. With your current BR, 1/2 is out of your comfort zone, so play some micro limits just to keep up the practice, and take advantage of any bonuses possible.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. Tough luck—just earn it back slowly like you did before. You know you can do it—it will just take a while playing .5/1. No need to dip into your bank account. Control your tilt man and you will be fine. Get a normal job for next semester and just play poker on the side when u find time. Maybe the semester after next you will be up enough to try out your semi-pro college kid poker dream.

[/ QUOTE ]

Choose this route.

After I had played 2/4 and 3/6 for a few months my role dropped down to 700. Since it was really important to me not to deposit any of my hard earned money I played .5/1 for a little while. After a bit I decided the next 100 I made I'd go back to 2/4 as I felt I had a grasp on a few of the problems from posting here as well as I was just running bad in 2/4. If i lost the 100 I'd drop back and rinse repeat. I lost the 100 once, dropped back, won the 100 back playing.5/1 and the 2nd time I never looked back.

Good luck.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:56 PM

Ok, I guess people are thinking I should do option # 2, and Im sure thats the best thing for me right now. It just sucks even thinking about grinding it all back playing .5/1, ughhh. Ohwell, I guess I have to pay for my stupid doings.

Thanks for the input~
Old 12-01-2004, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It just sucks even thinking about grinding it all back playing .5/1, ughhh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, it isn't a good feeling. I hated every minute of it too. But I knew I'd hate it less than busting out. To me, you actually seem like you have a good head on yourself. It's not going to be fun and it will take longer than you like, but it's definately the best route. Before you know it though you'll be back in business...
Old 12-01-2004, 04:11 PM

Looks like you've made a wise decision. Play the $.50/1 and build a BR slowly. Discipline is your weakness, not poker play. Follow a strict set of rules about BR and poker play. My vow to my wife to NEVER put another dime of my own money into poker has helped me remain disciplined. It means that busting out is really busting out. I keep 500BB in my BR.