Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2005, 11:34 AM

Default math and strategy for a strange structure.

I have no experience in no limit tourneys. And my wife let me know last night that she wants to beat her fellow employees tonight.

It is a $50 buy in with 75 inexperienced players ( I am assuming a little here). The strange part is that there will be no blinds, rather $1 antes. I know you guys are math / poker geniuses. Just wondering how this would change strategy. I can see some obvious things, but thought you would have some profound insight. And would help a fellow 2+2er out.
thanx
bud
Old 03-18-2005, 02:44 PM

Default Re: math and strategy for a strange structure.

Can you give more information about the structure? Is the starting stack 50 chips? Does the ante increase or does it stay at $1?

In a game like this players are likely to be making huge mistakes. I think the most likely mistakes are calling too much, betting too little (say a $1 bet into a $20 pot), and folding too much to strong betting. Depending on the nature of the mistakes completely different strategies for your wife may be appropriate. Each of these mistakes has an obvious counter strategy which if implemented would give your wife a large advantage.

Paul
Old 03-18-2005, 05:28 PM

Default Re: math and strategy for a strange structure.

THANX. The stacks start at $ 50 and the antes stay @ $1 for the first hr. Now I am being told that ONLY the top 3 stacks (out of 10)will move on after the first hr. My guess is that they will not get off more than 20 hands in that time w/ rookie dealers. How about that for adding pressure. I am sure the other players will be pushing hard just b/c they are weak players. So, i can't imagine bullying them w/out a hand. What would you do besides hope you get cards?
thanx
bud