Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2005, 06:33 AM

Default Im a lucky card catcha

General comments?

Im not interested in those of you who would fold T7h in MP, I had just won a pot, and therefore i wanted to play my euphoric "rush."

~~

Actually, kidding about that, but I felt this table (very little raising pf although a bit on the tight side) the game conditions made my hand very playable from mp. So I'd like to know:
a. The flop. I saw this and was going to chuck it, but I was closing the action and so many had called. however, not sure i have implied odds because i'm not necessarily against a big hand. so what do you all think
b. The turn. I wasn't sure if I wanted to check-raise or bet out. I knew there were 4 opponents and CO may just have tried to stab at the pot and therefore wouldn't bet again. (According to results, I missed lots of value here, but interested in comments)
c. The river. Too much, too little? Honestly, I was sorta stabbing in the dark in terms of what others had. I knew that CO would only call if he had a big hand because my bluff % was almost 0 with the short stack having 3$ left, but thought half pot was tempting enough for something like A9 to look me up.

Thanks.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero ($162.50)</font>
MP3 ($52.20)
<font color="#C00000">CO ($74.75)</font>
Button ($35.10)
SB ($116.20)
BB ($20)
UTG ($111.90)
<font color="#C00000">UTG+1 ($16)</font>
MP1 ($112.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($5) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $2</font>, SB calls $2, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $2, Hero calls $2.

Turn: ($13) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, CO calls $10, SB folds, UTG+1 calls $10.

River: ($43) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $22</font>, CO calls $22, UTG+1 calls $3 (All-In).

Final Pot: $90
Old 03-15-2005, 06:49 AM

Default Re: Im a lucky card catcha

Preflop: I actually don't like because you have a hand likely to flop draws and a player in front of you without enough money to make those draws profitable. if you switch the positions of the big and small stack, i like this much more, especiall because you can now get caught between an erratic shortstack and the guy who can break you behind with a hand that you'd like to see cheap cards with. I know you were playing the rush, and normally i'd advocate calling here in general at a very passive table, but i really think this setup (shortstack to act before you, big money behind and you with a drawing hand) is a scary/danergous one that i personally would try to avoid.

Flop: since board is rainbow and unpaired and gutshot is to the nuts, call is not borderline but mandatory. you're almost getting pot odds to draw here, regardless.

as a sidenote, i think people are folding marginal draws far too often on the flop in NL, espcially with much money behind. i see people folding J9 on 87Ar boards for like 2% of their stack when, so long as they have the BR for it, they really need to be calling, espcially in multiway pots with passive players.

Turn: I'd checkraise because the likely bettor will snare the field for you and because it looks like an isolation play against a crappy shortstack. people hate getting checkraised (espcially if the raise is suspiciously small here) here and will very often call.

River: I'd bet like 30 here, but 22 is fine, especially if you plan or river bluffing a lot and want to do it cheaply. another argument for the turn C/R is that if you'd raised to like 30, the all-in here with the nuts is an auto-call for CO with something like TP.

fim
Old 03-15-2005, 10:00 AM

I'm folding preflop but who cares.
Flop - 4 clean outs to the nuts, I'd call a small bet even if I wasn't closing the action, and fold to a significant reraise.
The rest is great, betting is better than check raising.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:13 AM

i like it all. flop is just whatever. turn bet out is a must, since you can get alot of overcalls, and the board is so weird that a c/r will show too much strength. you can only be vs made hands, so likely they will figure they arnt good and toss it somewhere. if the board was drawy, c/r is nicer, because people will call your raise more often than they should with their draws and pump up the pot even further.

river bet size i like, you are likely vs 1 pair lower than the jack, or maybe 2 pair.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:25 AM

oooh, completely forgot to post results on this one. ty for the reply bk / meow / fim. good stuff.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero ($162.50)</font>
MP3 ($52.20)
<font color="#C00000">CO ($74.75)</font>
Button ($35.10)
SB ($116.20)
BB ($20)
UTG ($111.90)
<font color="#C00000">UTG+1 ($16)</font>
MP1 ($112.50)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($5) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $2</font>, SB calls $2, BB folds, UTG+1 calls $2, Hero calls $2.

Turn: ($13) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, CO calls $10, SB folds, UTG+1 calls $10.

River: ($43) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $22</font>, CO calls $22, UTG+1 calls $3 (All-In).

Final Pot: $90

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG+1 has Td Jc (one pair, jacks).
Hero has 7h Th (straight, jack high).
CO has 6d 9c (two pair, nines and sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins $90. </font>
Old 03-17-2005, 03:39 AM

Kudos to the CO on getting sucked out. He should be embarrassed that he gave you the odds to call a gutshot.

I wonder if I'd have fared better in his shoes. I'd have bet about pot or a little less on the flop, say $4, and if you hit your gutshot then at least you couldn't say I was asking for it. Or alternately, does anyone like a min-raise to $20 on the turn? That's probably not getting called by anything I can beat, so it makes it easy to call or check behind on the river and save a few dollars.
Old 03-17-2005, 03:58 AM

You played fine but I'm still not a fan of the PF limp [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 03-17-2005, 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You played fine but I'm still not a fan of the PF limp [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

"but doyle says"...

:-)