Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2005, 09:47 AM

Default A Question: The fundamentals of Backing

I backed a relative when he was young. It was a pure backing arrangement. It was not a loan. I put up a roll, in installments, he used the roll to back his action. Some of the roll; he ate. Some of the roll; he gambled; some of the roll he crashed into trees and other objects. He added to my roll with other backer's roll(s)(one of which he repaid in full with huge interest over an 8-year period of time). The unwritten arrangement to our "Backing" agm't was that the roll was delivered without any strings attached and that he was to simply go forth & do the best that he could.
The relative in question is now sucessful; how much should he pay me?...The entire original roll?....A piece of the roll?...The roll plus a piece of his current status...The roll plus a continuing piece of his lifetime action?..The roll, a piece of his continuing action AND a piece of the action of backees that he has helped?....Or, maybe, just a simple "Thanx Dad"
Old 03-11-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Re: A Question: The fundamentals of Backing

This post made me smile. You sound like a good dad.

Paul
Old 03-11-2005, 10:23 AM

Thank You [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2005, 10:25 AM

From my understanding, it should be more of an Amway arrangement. Skipperbob Jr. should produce a bunch of Skipperbob IIIs, who go forth and recruit their own little Skipperbobs. If Skipperbob Jr. hasn't lived up to that arrangement, I think you are within your rights to ask for the original roll back.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:49 AM

at the very least he ought to pay for a good nursing home [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I backed a relative when he was young. It was a pure backing arrangement. It was not a loan. I put up a roll, in installments, he used the roll to back his action. Some of the roll; he ate. Some of the roll; he gambled; some of the roll he crashed into trees and other objects. He added to my roll with other backer's roll(s)(one of which he repaid in full with huge interest over an 8-year period of time). The unwritten arrangement to our "Backing" agm't was that the roll was delivered without any strings attached and that he was to simply go forth & do the best that he could.
The relative in question is now sucessful; how much should he pay me?...The entire original roll?....A piece of the roll?...The roll plus a piece of his current status...The roll plus a continuing piece of his lifetime action?..The roll, a piece of his continuing action AND a piece of the action of backees that he has helped?....Or, maybe, just a simple "Thanx Dad"

[/ QUOTE ].....Any chance the forum can come down on the side of ChickenPherzen owing me a piece also [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2005, 11:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
at the very least he ought to pay for a good nursing home [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Irieguy
Old 03-11-2005, 01:38 PM

Great post Skipperbob. I'm glad you've become a fixture around here.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:02 PM

I don't know what the demographics of this forum are, I get the feeling everyone is mostly younger than myself with fewer responsibilities (children) than myself, so this post will never get the response it deserves.

I just wanted to let you know I've gone back to read it several times, and given my little kid a kiss. It just reminds me that fatherhood is not a role, it's a process. Thanks Bob. I know how proud you are of how your little kid turned out.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:12 PM

You're Welcome: I hope that yours brings you the pride & pleasure that Craig has brought to me...(interupted, from time-to-time, with events not-described, which were neither sources of pride or pleasure)...Regards, Skip.....Apologies to other posters about the fact that this belongs in a PM, not forum post