Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2005, 12:41 AM

Default home game question

My poker game is average and probably below average compared to most on the site... here it goes. At a little home game that goes down every weekend around here about 16 people with 10 dollar buy in and 20 dollars worth of chips. Blinds at .25/.50 first hr and up .5/1 - .75/1.50 and so forth every half hour untill the blinds start rising at a higher rate.

Now my question is with a table of about 6 people the other day i played fairly tight, my usual style. On the big hands when i have AK or AQsuited ect. At a 6 person game... blinds at .25/.5 someone raises to 1.50... i know hes a jackel(plays a lot of hands) and i have a little bit of trouble putting him on cards... but i can get good reads on him... so basically my question is... should i only call the 1.50 or reraise.. and to what... because i try to play atleast 5-6 hands like this so i dont get outdrawn and my stack at 10 bucks and me getting screwed with raises and crap cards... I seem to make calls a lot here.. just because he tripled the blinds... and i dont like to lose a lot of chips if he outdraws me... or should i just make it 3 to go right there... just wondering... it seems like i should just reraise to see where i am preflop... but then the flop comes.. and i may have to raise him again.. and by then 8 dollars are gone from my 20 stack... and if he gets lucky i lose a lot of chips... ect... whats your guys take on how i should play with 20 dollars worth of chips and what i should do with big hands with not a lot of chips...

i always seem to do fine online with bigger stacks and more options... so something isnt flowing over to my live game... maybe its just cuz everyone plays anything and online 20 dolar buy in.. people respect a raise and know they are behind usually and fold... now im just rambling.. anyays.. if you could give your analysis. (first post, just getting used to the style here)
Old 03-04-2005, 12:51 AM

Default Re: home game question

Okay, you left out a lot of info...

1. Chip Count for table

2. Position of you and raiser
Old 03-04-2005, 01:56 AM

Default Re: home game question

[ QUOTE ]
and if he gets lucky i lose a lot of chips...
Welcome to the world of poker

whats your guys take on how i should play with 20 dollars worth of chips

It doesn't matter if you have $20 in chips or $20,000 in chips. What is important is your stack relative to the blinds and relative to the other stacks. With the BB at .5 you have 40 x BB so you still have time to build your stack.

As for the hand you mention, info like position, stack sizes, who is in who is out is needed to make any comment