Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2005, 07:25 PM

Default How badly did I play this?

Due to a monetary emergency I recently had to withdraw my entire bankroll. I kept about $5 to play micro-limits with, but I'm rusty at limit, since I've been focusing on NL and SNGs for the past couple months. I'm reading SSH right now for the third time, but I definitely have forgotten a lot of stuff.

Anyway, this is a hand I played that I was unsure of on all streets. No solid reads on the villians, but the table had been really loose and a bit on the passive side. UTG is an okay player, BB I have no clue about. I may have been slightly tilting due to the deck hating me. Ream me please.

PokerStars 0.02/0.04 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

<font color="blue">Totally unsurprised to see an overcard. UTG bets into me. I've seen him bet out with made hands, but I've also seen him bluff. I raise partially for information and partially to represent an overpair. Standard?</font>

Turn: (8 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">BB's bet is frightening. JT is what pops into my head, or possibly two-pair, or a slowplayed hand. I feel I'm beat but I did pick up a gutshot draw that I have odds to draw to. Fold here?</font>

River: (11 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

<font color="blue">My set put four to a straight on the board. I still feel beat but I feel the pot is big enough to call. Stupid stupid stupid?</font>

Final Pot: 13 BB
Old 02-14-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: How badly did I play this?

I think you should raise the river and call a 3bet.

You're heads up with BB there and I'm not convinced that he has a ten in his hand. You likely have the best hand.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:38 PM

You played it fine. With your read and the large pot, you don't want to fold on the flop when no one else has shown strength yet. Your flop raise is to force out anyone with an A or a K.

The 8 is a scary turn card but as you note, you've picked up a gutshot that you barely have odds to draw to (the T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] is tainted, but your J outs are probably worth something to compensate). On the river, the pot is large and your hand is relatively strong, so closing the action I think you have to call. I wouldn't raise though since I'd hate to get 3-bet here.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:45 PM

I think I like a raise on the river. After we see the third jack, 10J is pretty unlikely. QQ would have raised pf, so it looks like a lower-set/2-pair here. Does anyone else think Hero's ahead 66% of the time?
Old 02-14-2005, 07:50 PM

Pre and flop are fine.
Raise the turn. If you-reraised, you have high probability that you're beat, but at this level it's just hard to say what people are thinking and doing.
If you raise the turn and are called, bet the river. If you're still bet into(considering the card), a call is fine.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I like a raise on the river. After we see the third jack, 10J is pretty unlikely. QQ would have raised pf, so it looks like a lower-set/2-pair here. Does anyone else think Hero's ahead 66% of the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the turn. If you-reraised, you have high probability that you're beat, but at this level it's just hard to say what people are thinking and doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're paying an awful lot of money for information you're not going to use, considering that you can't fold to a 3-bet with your gutshot outs.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:57 PM

Raising the turn is not a good idea here.

That turn card gave Hero gutshot outs but if he was behind on the flop he is still behind on the turn. I like the smooth-call.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:27 PM

Thanks everyone, I feel better about the hand now. I thought I had botched it much worse than I did. Villian showed down 88 for the turned set and for my river suckout. But I can't feel too bad about sucking out his set since he stayed in on that flop [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-14-2005, 11:30 PM

Bingo.

You were way ahead preflop and on the flop.

Don't feel bad about "sucking out".