Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2002, 03:26 PM

Default paradise troubles

Hello all, just a quick poll. Thanks in advance.

I've played on paradise for almost 2 yrs, and recently my computer has been very slow, crashes often, and esp paradise- can't even sit down anymore without the comp freezing up. I currently use a p2 450 with windows 98. I'm actually buying another comp (on it's way) for an upgrade, CD burner etc.

My question is this- has anyone out there every noticed similar problems with their computer, that might or might not be due to paradise? I've cleaned up my comp in every way I know (deleting temp internet files, virus check etc) with no improvement. Mind you, this is just speculative at best. I have also downloaded PP several times on my girl's comp, and after each time it slows considerably. Mind you she has a good P3 so memory, run speed etc should not be a problem.

I'm wary of downloading PP again simply b/c of the admittedly flimsy evidence at hand- I want to continue playing but don't want to foul up a new computer if in fact PP could be the reason. ANyone with similar experiences, advice or rebuttals please advise. thanks
Old 04-20-2002, 04:54 PM

Default Re: paradise troubles

Maybe try uninstalling PP, and then, manually deleting all files in the PP installation. (crogra~1paradi~1etc....).

The downloading and re-installing. Also, maybe upgrade out of the Win9x architecture. XP, 2k, etc, are all much better! You'll get a whole order of magnitude fewer crashes. Plus better multitasking, etc...

- Tony
Old 04-20-2002, 05:07 PM

I'm guessing that you install and uninstall lots of stuff, right?

Many programs are poorly written and leave a bunch of junk in the Windows registry when you uninstall them, which will eventually cause the whole system to slow down.

Try System Mechanic from iolo.com. You can download and use it free for 30 days. Betcha it finds and removes hundreds, maybe thousands of dead registry entries.

Disclaimer: I neither work for nor have any affiliation with Iolo other than being being a satisfied user of their software [img]/images/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-20-2002, 07:21 PM

Sounds to me like you have a general computer problem not related to PP. First, check your hard drive. If it's more than 70% full then you should un-install some software to get under this limit. If you hear your HD chugging often, you probably need more RAM. With WIN98 256MB should be good enough. Beyond that, run msconfig and go to the startup tab. Turn off everything that you don't KNOW that you need. Reboot and expect some error messaes. At each error think about the related program and decide if it's worth adding it back in, at a cost of memory and speed. Every software writer seems to think that their software is SO IMPORTANT that it's GOT to be in memory from the get-go. It's up to you to tell the software how wrong their author was.

Bonus: It wouldn't hurt to defragment your drive once every couple of months either. (Run defrag or a similar program).

-MD

(not at my computer and can't remember password)
Old 04-21-2002, 03:19 AM

get a real computer and windows XP, you will have no more troubles