Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 09:38 PM

Default My first limit holdem post- a rant and a hand

Hello small stakes holdem forum! this is my very first limit holdem post.

here's a little background before i get to this hand that's been buggin me...
I HATE limit holdem [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]. can't freakin' stand it. I'm a no limit player and good at it. i also play a bunch of PLO, PLO8, stud and stud8, even some draw, but never limit holdem.
but.... it's high time i started whoring the crypto skins and i don't like their NL games (i prefer to multi table 25 and 50$ buys instead of plaing a single 100$ table), and their stud games' ante is to high for my preferred strategies, there is no good omaha action... dammit!

So i re-read HEPFAP, TOP, the SS limit section, Gary Carson's Holdem poker (which i didn't like) an am buying SSHE and LLHE tonight. any other books i should get?

Ok here's a hand- this is from memory- i played it correctly until the river, i think, then i realized i just don't know limit very well...

1/2 holdem 6 max
UTG: LAG w/@55$ limps in 1$
Hero: 44$ dealt Ad7d i also limp 1$
Button: folds
SB: (no reads yet) Completes 1$
BB: (no reads yet) checks 1$

Flop comes As 6d 8d [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]
SB checks
BB checks
UTG checks
Hero bets 1$
SB calls 1$
BB calls 1$
UTG folds

turn comes Jd (yehaaa)
SB checks
BB checks
Hero bets 2$
SB calls 2$
BB calls 2$

river Jh (as a NL player, this sets off all kinds of alarms in my head)

SB checks
BB checks
Hero bets 2$
SB raises 4$
BB folds
Hero CALLS 2$
final pot 20$

results in white: <font color="white">he was an idiot trying to bluff a slowplayed flush or something, he had garbage. my flush took it.</font>

I am wondering if i should have made it three bets there? I later realized that the reason i didn't is that i was (in the back of my brain, on a subconcious level) afraid of an allin or pot raise. i have to realize that that can't happen in limit...

is it approiate to just call there, or did i miss a bet? i don't think anybody would've played a set like they were playing, i assumed he had a single jack, yet i still flat called. i know how damaging missing bets can be from my stud and limit omaha experience. I'll post some more hands as they continue to confuse me. Stupid Limit [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img].
Old 01-19-2005, 09:41 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: My first limit holdem post- a rant and a hand

don't see monsters under the bed. don't limp so close to the button with only one person in. don't post 1/2 or 6-max hands here [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]