Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2005, 11:47 AM

Default Push Call or Fold (Defending Blinds)

5 remaining in the tournament. Hero is BB sits with 1500T (which was the starting stake) before the blind. Hero is low stack, with a couple still in with about 2400T. Blinds are 100-200.

Hero Dealt A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
SB posts 100, Hero posts BB 200
2 folds.

Villian (Button) bets 750.

Villian has stolen blinds with solid bets like this from me three times so far in this tourney, so I don't necessarily think his bet means much.

Do I fold -- Normally, I don't like betting more than half my stack with these cards when I'm not desparate.

Call -- Win or not, I can't let this guy continue stealing my blinds, and with the A, it's not a terrible hand.

Push -- Call leaves me with 500T, which if not crippled, is getting pretty close. Doubling up puts me right back in the thick of things, Button folding comes close to doing that.

I think Push has to be right.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Push Call or Fold (Defending Blinds)

I'm still trying to make the transition from profitable limit play to NL. I've got about 150 party 10+1 SNGs in now, so my advice is given with a grain of salt, except that I've been really focusing on finding ways to stay out of trouble. And folding this would keep you out of trouble.

The A is nice, but not being suited and being with such a weak kicker means you will be a big underdog if he calls with a medium pair, for example or any A of his own with as little as a 6 or 7.

It seems likely you would find better opportunities to try blind steals of your own by holding off here, as well as having the possibility of defending against a steal sometime later (if he even could last that long in the game) with your own pair or suited high cards.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:32 PM

Maybe a Stop n Go...But you may have too few chips to really make it worth your wile.

I'm not sure about the math, but I think you have 750 after the call.

The pot will be 1600 and then you are putting 750 in on the push. He would have to be getting better than 1:3.1 odds to make it work. You might get a better Ax to laydown...

Just a tought...

-Gryph
Old 01-19-2005, 12:43 PM

I'm not disagreeing with either of the previous two posters. Normally, I'm folding A5o without thought.

However, the real question I have is how do you go about defending blinds. Button had been stealing blinds from me all tourney (and from player notes in previous tourneys as well).

So, what I'm asking is at what point do you make the statement that you're just not going to let him steal your blinds with impugnity, especially when they get large?

For the record (and maybe this shows that my read wasn't crazy), Button showed JTs after I bet all-in. Making me a favorite. I'm still not positive about my play, however.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:49 PM

Oh I think your play is fine...

It might not get a Ax higher than yours to fold though. I have the same problem in these situations. You have 6.5BB after posting so you have to start making a move if you want something to happen. The only reason I suggested the StopNGo is big stacks tend to want to gamble with all the cards to come.

I think what you did was fine. It just tough when you are short stacked to defend.

-Gryph
Old 01-19-2005, 12:51 PM

Fold...your either slightly ahead, or way behind and Button came pretty close to pot-committing himself with his raise (If you push, he's getting ~3:1 odds to call). Stop and go is no good, because he would probably still call with the same amount of hands as he would if you'd pushed preflop. Your not getting much fold equity out of this. I'd prefer to open-push with 72o than reraise this with A5.

The fact that he stole the blinds 3 times with similar bets is not a huge factor. (Also, was it 3 times in a row? 3 times out of 6?) With no read, I'd probably need pockets >66, AK-A9, KQ to push this. You still have time to wait for a better hand than A5.

Keep aggressive when its folded to you and stay alive by stealing blinds.
Old 01-19-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Normally, I'm folding A5o without thought.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think A5o is a decent hand to open push with on occasion (about once every 3-4 times or so)when your that shortstacked.