Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Archie taught me something..a story for CCX ...

Saturday afternoon at a $6-$12 game at the Borgata.

Some history on Archie. I nicknamed him Archie because he reminded me of the Archie Bunker character in All in the Family. He was in his mid sixties. I met his son his son's girlfriend. I felt like one of the family.

Archie and I joined the Hold em table together. Before I got into this game I played about an hour of $5-$10 stud with Archie. CCX Archie and myself had a nice repoir.

I sat in seat one Archie sat in seat two 2+2 er CCX sat in seat four. I complete in the small blind with Q2 clubs.

Flop comes Q 6 8 suits unimportant

I bet Archie raised everyone folded to me and I just called.

Turn no help I checked and Archie bet. I just called. As I called I advised Archie I had the Queen but with a low kicker. I did not say it as such, however reading between the lines I said what I had.

River brought yet another card that did not help me. No straights or flushes possible. CCX disagrees, however I did not see a flush.

Before I checked, again I told Archie that I knew I had the best hand and I would still check to him. He bet, I called and won the pot with the best hand. He had bottom pair with some other rag.

After the hand CCX could not believe that I told the truth about what I had and that Archie would really bet despite that.

I tried to give Archie his river bet back, however he claims he did not hear me when I was talking. Anyone who has spoken to me knows that I have a loud clear voice. I speak on the phone for a living, so I usually get my words across quite clearly. He claimed that he did not listen to me because people always talk and we "aint friends". And here I thought Archie and I had become friends. I will check raise.

Archie taught me something...no friends at the poker table.
Old 01-17-2005, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Archie taught me something..a story for CCX ...

Good story. Innocence lost.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:23 AM

Definite comedy, as I'm pretty sure our whole side of the table heard you tell him what you had. Poor Archie! In addition, as I recall, my disbelief was lodged more on the side of the old man actually betting into you, not that you had told him the truth in what you had. Although that was a point of contention, your reassurance that "I'm Mike Gallo, I dont lie like that" certainly calmed my thinking. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2005, 01:57 AM

Once poster Mosch and I played in the same 10-20 game. I had checked my big blind dark and did not look at my cards until the turn. I checked the turn my opponent bet and told him I would only raise if I had a boat.I bet and my opponent paid off the turn raise and the river bet and my full house won.