Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-01-2005, 06:07 AM

Default Again....bad person?

There are a lot of different kinds of people where I work. There are the two that I have already mentioned, the "weird lady at work," and the "weird guy at work," and a slew of other characters. There are a bunch of Yugoslavian folks that always speak Croatian (?) at work so I always think they're talking about me (this may be a bit paranoid, but I personally have to bite my tongue on a regular basis because people can understand me, you can imagine what I would say if they couldn't). There are some Chinese women who also speak in code (chinese). My boss is always drunk, she laughs hysterically at things she says, and she's the ultimate bimbo to boot.
In addition to this motley crew, there are two deaf women. One of them also happens to be the most talkative person I've ever met, and is always starting/interrupting/overtaking conversations. The other one is cool, she's always offering me candy and saying hello whenever she sees me. They both speak in that voice that I assume comes from not being able to hear onesself, sort of like their tongues are stuck to their pallettes, like the lineswoman from seinfeld. They are very hard to understand, but they have to talk to everyone because only one other person knows sign language.
I find myself rather uncomfortable when trying to converse with them, as I often misunderstand them and need them to repeat themselves. It also doesn't help much that I sort of mumble. Communication with them is difficult and occasionally, impossible. Everyone else in the department either yells (!) or talks to them very slowly. When the friendly one was in training, the girl who was training her would open her mouth extremely wide when she talked, sometimes pointing at her mouth (!).
The friendly one sits next to me, and will occasionally ask me questions and strike up conversations that make me uncomfortable as I often can't understand her and it feels like asking her to repeat herself would be like "You talk funny, I can't understand you."
I pretend not to hear her. It doesn't always work, but most of the time it does because I have headphones on and she sees them and gives up quickly.
Shortly after I started doing this, she started waving to get my attention. Now I keep my head down and eyes on my work. I still look up when she waves every once in a while, but most of the time I play oblivious.
Old 01-01-2005, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Again....bad person?

Sounds like you need a new job, I hear they are hiring at PartyPoker [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, I don't think you are a bad person unless you are doing something to them to make them fell bad and you understand the possition they are in.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:35 AM

Now, You and I both know that i am not one to talk, but have you ever had someone ignore you while you were trying to talk to them. I haven't but i imagine it sucks. I also work with quite a few people who are really hard to understand(mexican folk) and sometimes i ignore them and some times i pretend that I understood them and try to give an ambiguous reply it seems like it works but i feel like they know whats "up". Your not a bad person, and if you are in fact a horrible person so am i and so are a frigging ton of people. At least there will be alot of us to kickit in HELL.
Wapown
Old 01-05-2005, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, You and I both know that i am not one to talk

[/ QUOTE ]

And I got a rash so bad on my ass, I can't even sit down.

-2kF
Old 01-05-2005, 04:13 AM

Before starting my own biz and working from the house I had similar experiences with annoying folk...everyone that works in an office does. Some poeple are clueless to normal social signs of disinterest...like only saying "uh huh" repeatedly and continuing to read the newspaper when they are telling some stupid asss story in the lunch room. Yet, they do it over and over again, day after day, and nobody gives a sh!t what they are talking about. Ever.

Frankly, I'd rather a person think I'm a d!ck and leave me alone than annoy the crap out of me every day. Am I a bad person? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Of course, if you ignore the deaf people simply because it's hard to understand them, well, you are truly evil. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-05-2005, 07:30 AM

only good people worry about being bad people, dr. klopec.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:09 AM

That's an insanely good post.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:00 AM

just out of curiosoty, what do you do?
Old 01-05-2005, 11:35 AM

Bang her... in some way that it'll be awkward/uncomfortable for her to approach you afterward.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just out of curiosoty, what do you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I work in the proof dept. at Wells Fargo. I basically just prep huge stacks of checks, deposit slips, withdrawals, etc. for scanning into a computer.

I guess I just feel bad because she's deaf and I pretend not to hear her. If she was annoying, that'd be a different story, I mean, she cannot hear, and I pretend not to. It seems pretty low.