Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2004, 03:38 AM

Default Am I a moron if it gets HU?

Lately I have been playing a lot of HU against Poki.
The aggro style it plays leads me to a very aggro mindset when it gets HU in full ring games. But that is a different situation compared to pure HU, right?
After plays like that I feel like a moron:

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

BB is new to the table - no data.

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5.20 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 10.20 BB
Old 12-23-2004, 04:39 AM

Default Re: Am I a moron if it gets HU?

[ QUOTE ]
Lately I have been playing a lot of HU against Poki.
The aggro style it plays leads me to a very aggro mindset when it gets HU in full ring games. But that is a different situation compared to pure HU, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know Poki, but pure heads-up and a ring-game pot that ends up heads-up are different.

In the hand you posted, there were six players left to act when you raised, and one of them chose to 3-bet you. This isn't quite the same thing as having your solitary opponent decide to reraise (in part because your opponent knows you were raising six people, and in part because there's a better chance that one of six other hands will be good than that the only other hand will be).

In the hand itself, I suspect what happened is that your opponent had a higher pocket pair that you failed to push him off of. Or manybe he had an ace that he decided to play fast from the beginnning. But once you get 3-bet after raising with a medium pair, I think generally you are in trouble if the flop brings an ace (and no set for you) and you can't get your opponent to fold. (Of course, this becomes less true if your opponent is tricky or has loose raising standards or is a maniac.)
Old 12-23-2004, 05:23 AM

Default Re: Am I a moron if it gets HU?

I'm not sure about the raise preflop, but it's limped to you, so i guess it's cool......

I don't read too much into the 3-bet....If he was any kind of player, he would 3-bet you with pretty much anything that was good enough to call, just to see what you thought about your hand....

I like your flop line.....you aren't taking no guff from no one and I like it....(isn't expensive here either, which i also like)

However!
When he bets the turn, a card that certainly helped oh let's see, neither of you! I would probably say to myself....."ohhhhh, he actually DOES have something that could be beating me"

I would then grit my teeth and muck it, or grit my teeth and call it down, depending on my mood...