Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2004, 11:21 AM

Default 9Tsooted

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

loose table, no reads...

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, Hero calls, CO folds, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (5.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls...
Old 12-19-2004, 01:11 PM

Default Re: 9Tsooted

Seems bad to me.

On the flop, you have a very strong draw and some small %chance that you are ahead. Do UTG limpers bet into a field of 6 with a hand you are ahead of very often? The only draw here is a flush draw and you have that. So you decide to raise to force out everyone in between you and the raiser. I just call. You want lots of people in here.

On the turn, your given the chance for a free card with your weak hand. And you don't take it. I take it. There aren't enough players + small change you are ahead to make this for value.

And then you make your hand on the river and go for overcalls. The way you played this hand completely disguises the fact that you have a flush. Raise the river.

Krishan
Old 12-19-2004, 02:04 PM

I like the raise on the flop as the SB and BB may not check-call anyway. I don't like the bet on the turn, one of the reasons you raised on the flop is to get that free card. I raise the river because I'm ahead a good bit of the time. I think I have to call a 3bet on the river too.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:13 PM

Why didn't you take your free card?
Old 12-19-2004, 02:55 PM

I should have... I know...

I was thinking about a free SD when I did it, but anyone who calls a bet on the Turn is gonna beat me on the river so a free SD is utterly useless in this case.
I should have check-folded unimproved instead...
Old 12-19-2004, 03:36 PM

On the river I go for the overcall because MP1 has been passive all the way but suddenly wakes up when a flushcard pops up? Since I have a very small flush I think that going for the overcall here is the best thing to do...
Old 12-19-2004, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems bad to me.

On the flop, you have a very strong draw and some small %chance that you are ahead. Do UTG limpers bet into a field of 6 with a hand you are ahead of very often? The only draw here is a flush draw and you have that. So you decide to raise to force out everyone in between you and the raiser. I just call. You want lots of people in here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is wrong and MoDoh's flop play is correct. If he calls going for overcalls he'll at the most get another 2sb into the pot. If he raises he will at the very least get 2 additional sb into the pot, as well as a decent shot at a free card.

His four flush alone will get there over 1/3rd of the time, the pair with the additional five outs means he has a huge overlay even with only two callers. Raising for value alone here would be correct, the free card makes it even juicier.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:43 PM

Note that only five players saw the flop.

I think the turn bet is correct. You have 14 outs and a possible best hand that you would like to show down for free. How bad can betting be?

The river decision is hard. There are certainly opponents where playing for overcalls is correct. But I think UTG+1 has an ace and will call two bets. Playing for overcalls versus an unknown bettor is not ambitious enough.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:56 PM

Not raising the flop is subtle. It's not only about overcalls. It's also about being able to raise the turn when you make your outs. That gets you two big bets instead of one. Also when you miss, you might be able to keep the people behind you in on the turn and build a bigger pot when you hit the river. Also, free cards don't always happen. 3-bets and stop and gos are not that uncommon at this limit. This hand isn't about getting lots of money in when you are behind and seeing a cheap river. It's about maximizing the value of a drawing hand over all streets.

Krishan
Old 12-19-2004, 04:59 PM

I don't know how to do an accurate Bayesean analysis. But since your betting pattern looks like a big ace,here are the hands that would lead into you on the river. Baby flush, trip 3s, a wheel, any two pair. I think your ahead enough here to raise. I'd need some analysis to show me I'm wrong here. (And I could be)

Krishan