Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2004, 03:21 PM

Default one problem I run into

I have been playing against a lot of players lately that are limping in with AQs, or KQs, even in LP. I will raise these hands almost every time. So when the flop comes Q64r I think my QJ is good. I bet out, villian (say this time has AQ) does not raise me, so I think I must be good. I continue to bet out, it gets to be HU with me and villian. I bet each street he does not raise me and I get shown AQ and get beat with kicker. This maybe common to most of you, but I'm still new. Any suggestions? Are some people just that weak tight. I'm going to figure out Bison's converter shortly so I can post some hands. Anyway let me know what you all think. thanks
Old 12-20-2004, 03:26 PM

Default Re: one problem I run into

Yes, some people are that weak tight. I ran into that yesterday and all you can do is keep playing it like you did. If the same guy keeps doing it to you then check the river once in awhile. Murphy's law says if you check, that is the one you would have one.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:27 PM

Why would you want a better hand to raise you?
Old 12-20-2004, 03:31 PM

I think this one might come down to your position. I usually fold QJo in EP and MP. In LP I usually limp if there are callers or steal-raise if folded to me. Then when the flop comes Q64 rainbow you will have position on preflop callers, and you can get a better idea of how strong your TPGK hand is. With hands like QJo you want to be acting after the other players so that you have the most information possible about the hand. With more information, you can make better decisions throughout the rest of the hand.

However, be glad that the guys with AQ are just calling your bets all the way down and never raising. They are saving you a lot of money in the long run, and most of the time you will not run into a higher kicker in your example (only AQ and KQ outkick you). Be happy they're not smarter players.
Old 12-20-2004, 03:36 PM

I agree with position I am much stronger. Does it matter that I had QJs not QJo? Its not that I wanted him to raise me, but I think that would have slowed me down. Is there any reason for me to check the flop or turn, or even check raise? I agree Issac that with position on these weak tight players I could gain info, but whats my best play? Lets say I'm button, with same hands. Villian bets into me, do I raise, call, fold. How can I gain more info on him. Any suggestions? thanks
Old 12-20-2004, 04:28 PM

I apologize, when your post said QJ I assumed QJo. With QJs I am definitely limping in most positions, and calling a raise in later positions if a couple of people are already in the pot (I have also assumed a fairly weak and loose game here, like Party 50c/$1).

If you're on the button and someone bets the Q63 rainbow flop, I think you have to raise because you likely have the best hand and you want to win the pot. TPGK on an relatively uncoordinated board (just a tiny straight possibility here) is usually a strong hand and I would be pushing my edge here. Folding is terrible, as you have a good hand, and calling will just let other hands draw cheaply. There's no way to put the villain on KQ or AQ, so I'm figuring I have the best hand. Raise and reconsider your position if 3bet.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:42 PM

I was having this same problem for a long time. The way I finally minimized it is by using the note function on the sites. This way when someone who plays that way sits down I already know they did it before and will probably do it again.

Hope this helps
Phix
Old 12-20-2004, 06:23 PM

Thats good advice phix, I quickly put a note on this guy. It actually happened to me on a couple of occations with different people so it was just frustrating.
I think overall I played it right, just sucks thinking your good the whole way to find out your not. eh thats poker.
thanks to all the responses, look forward to posting some more.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:49 PM

Yeah, i saw a guy last week limp preflop, and check and call to the river ; he had flopped a set of aces.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:50 PM

This is one of those things that just happens. I run into it all the time as well (more live than online).

My safe answer is just too keep doing what you are doing and it will even out. Which is true.

But here is my caveat, if you are sure you have a good read on a player and you have position on them. I do not think you lose much checking the river through. I use this play only on a specific type of "rock". Live these players usually tend to be older retirees. Online they tend to have PT stats with a low VPIP, low aggression, and a W$@SD% near or above 60%. With this type of player I am more likely to check my TP without having a good kicker.

EDIT: Before anyone starts flaming me for being weak on the river please note the terms "IF you have a good read" and "AND you have position". Also the sentence "SPECIFIC type of rock"