Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 01:16 PM

Default Sirius Satelite Radio

Posted this on the other other topics forum but didn't get any responses. Was just wondering if anyone out there has any recommendations on which one to get and why. Also, how much do you pay per month/year to use it?
Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 12-07-2004, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Sirius Satelite Radio

I got XM, I like it, don't have any real complaints with it. it is 10 a month, can't compare it to Sirius cause I haven't heard/used it yet. I do believe XM is a little bit cheaper than Sirius. XM has gone to commercial free settings, which was the major complaint of many people with XM radio

Melch

Melch
Old 12-07-2004, 03:19 PM

But XM doesn't have Stern, or the NCAA tournament games like Sirius. This combination almost makes me want to pay for radio.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:14 PM

With Sirius you also get every NFL game I have had it since high school and I love it.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:19 PM

I think you get NFL with XM too. I could be wrong though. I don't have either.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:24 PM

I think you get NFL with XM too. I could be wrong though.

NFL is exlusively Sirius. XM has Major League Baseball, I believe.

I have Sirius and I listen to it all the time, car, home, etc and I highly recommend it.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 12-07-2004, 09:23 PM

I'm going to get one of these too and haven't decided which yet.

Will be really digging through ALL of the channel options to see which I like.

XM with MLB puts it a bit higher in my book...but doesn't get it to the finish-line for me.

I'm less interested in getting all the NFL games on radio....not as much of a big deal.

I really despise Howard Stern (although I agree with him on his ideas of FCC idiocy and general 1st amendment issues) so Sirius does not gain any weight with me there.

The bigger selling-point may be whichever one has the niftier variety of music that I like which will include semi-obscure indie-rock (something that AOL-radio of all things does pretty decently), new-wave, and other rock and jazz.

But, in the end, you're still kind of shooting in the dark. You don't know if you're really going to like one better than the other until you actually get it.
I'll check out the music listings and then hope I pick the one that I'm going to like better.

I'll be getting my Mom one of these as well. She's a political-talk junkie getting frustrated that there are some hosts she doesn't get to listen to some of the time.

So if I get my mom one I might get myself the other....since I'll occasionally get to compare them when I visit my Mom. Then I can see if I really like the other one better.

Here's another question:
Do we think the prices on these things will go DOWN after the X-Mas holiday?
I'm willing to wait until 2005 to save a few $$$ on the one I'm going to buy for myself.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:33 PM

Does anyone know if there are any technical differences (reception, coverage, etc.) between the two? I read a report over a year ago that described some writer's test of both systems during a cross-country drive, including 4 or 5 big cities, but I don't remember which came out better, or if any distinctions from then would be the same today.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The bigger selling-point may be whichever one has the niftier variety of music that I like which will include semi-obscure indie-rock (something that AOL-radio of all things does pretty decently), new-wave, and other rock and jazz.

I'll be getting my Mom one of these as well. She's a political-talk junkie getting frustrated that there are some hosts she doesn't get to listen to some of the time.

So if I get my mom one I might get myself the other....since I'll occasionally get to compare them when I visit my Mom. Then I can see if I really like the other one better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have both XM and Sirius. In my opinion, Sirius is much better on of the things that I want: music (also an indie-rock fan) and news/talk.

Music:
On XM, I tend to hear repetition in their play lists. I also find myself changing stations much more often. Others may have different experiences.

News/Talk:
Two biggies for me are that Sirius has Air America and NPR. XM has "America Left" which plays certain Air America shows (some of which are tape delayed). And radio just isn't radio to me without NPR.

I also love the NFL channel on Sunday Mornings.

In any case, whichever you choose, I doubt you will be disappointed.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:24 AM

I've been comparing XM and Sirius ever since the announcement of Delphi's MyFi unit which is XM compatible.

Here's what I've basically concluded:

Sirius has exclusive rights to NFL, NBA and NHL games, along with the NCAA Tourney. XM has MLB, and NASCAR. The edge ere for me goes with XM as I would enjoy the 24 hour NASCAR channel. I don't personally enjoy games on the radio unless it's a local team and I already get the DirecTV NFL and NCAA tourney packages.

Music-wise they both have a nice, wide varitey of channels, although I have read that Sirius tends to play more mainstream songs and XM's playlists are deeper. Edge for me to XM as I can hear mainstream music on local radio.

Sirius offers a wider variety of News Talk type stations while XM offers a wider choice of sports talk stations.

Sirius has Stern and NPR exclusively. This would be a major plus for Sirius if I were a big fan of either, but I'm not.

So, basically I'm choosing XM for three reasons. Number one, the MyFi Unit. Number Two, the NASCAR exclusivity to XM and number three the wider variety of sports talk options on XM.

I have heard a rumor that Sirius is trying to work with Apple to produce an IPOD/Sirius combo unit, but again that is a rumor, that would make my decision much more difficult.