Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 01:33 PM

Default poker journal - 9

Limit he is going okay, not as well as I had hoped but I was probably too ambitious. I figured my NLHE experience would let me beat limit HE without any trouble. It hasn't worked like that so far. As I said in my first post I dropped 250 BB real quick, since then I bottomed at about 300 BB, that was around when I started. Since then I've had a few 50 BB run ups but dropped it. Overall I have been trending upward the last week.

When I started my plan was to play 4 tables at once on one monitor and then go through the archives and read about poker on my second, this didn't work too well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I was playing on auto pilot and that contributed too my losses. Now I'm trying to play 4 tables and just focus on that (more than I did before at least) and read the archives seperaetly.

I did read an interesting post by diablo in the archives where he said spent his first 20 minutes or so focusing on the game so he can get reads on players and then can start doing other stuff too and just remembers his reads. I tried this and one session it worked well, but the next time I tried everyone kept leaving the table so it didn't work then. An interesting thing about limit HE compared to NLHe is that though I'm playing more LHE tables, I might be able to get reads faster cause we play so many hands and they get to showdown often.

Another thing I've learned in LHE is that tilting is just as bad as in NLHE. In NL the effects of tilt are clear, when you push all in preflop on a bluff and get called you lose a buy in. In limit it's just an extra bet. I'm learning fast that these bets add up though.

LHE is a more interesting game then I thought it would be. My original impression was that the pot is so big and bets so small that it's correct to raise with everything and calldown everything, that might explain my initial results [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. LHE is a much more math oriented game.

I also got myself a coach. It's an expensive deal for me but emphasizes very quick growth. It probably should work out well for me, we'll see. I'm also putting a lot of effort into sateliting into Pokerstars Carribean tournament, or Monte Carlo or Australia, that would be really cool.

One more observation. When I've been playing satellites I've also been playing NLHE cash games to pay for the satellites, and a few people mentioned this on the NL cash game forums but I didn't believe them... pokerstars 5/10 NL game has gotten a lot tougher. Maybe I'm imagining it cause I haven't played there too much, but I don't think so, I'm starting to agree with them that the games really have gotten tougher. It feels like my switch to limit has been vindicated, and it's very satisfying.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:45 PM

Default Re: poker journal - 9

Played NL and figured you'd be successful in Limit for that reason alone? LOL.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At least he is a winning poker player! LOL
Old 11-16-2004, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First day on the forum and you thought you'd gain respect by making fun of a well-respected poster? LOL
Old 11-16-2004, 02:32 PM

from his great post that was linked to here from here....

[ QUOTE ]
I give you all my word, that I will listen to all of your advice word for word and take it into great consideration.

PS. Don't start flame wars with each other please. If someone gives bad advice, just kindly note why it was bad, and we'll keep the discussion going.

[/ QUOTE ]

So let me get this straight, you dont want to get flamed yet your expertice of Hold Em translates into you sucking a dong in your own play.

To quote a recent commercial who's product might actually get your brain in order......BRILLIANT!
Old 11-16-2004, 03:42 PM

My VPIP is around 17%, I'm not sure why. I read that good players have VPIP's around 27%, I still don't see where I need to loosen up.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:49 PM

as I mentioned to bruiser (and gonores and fsuplayer this weekend) my vpip is 17% as well. I'm going to post my UTG and button standards in the HUSH forum soon.

--turnipmonster
Old 11-16-2004, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My VPIP is around 17%, I'm not sure why. I read that good players have VPIP's around 27%, I still don't see where I need to loosen up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you playing Full ring or 6 max? 17% is good for full ring, but a little tight for 6 max. 27% is a bit loose for 6 max, even some of the expert LAG 6 max players only have VP$IP in the 24-26 range.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:01 PM

6 max
Old 11-16-2004, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The better you play postflop, the more hands you can play preflop. Until you get the limit thing down, playing on the tightish side is probably best...

ML4L